Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: reholstering

reholstering

The one thing that really bothers me when training is the speed that you are required to re-holster. You are given commands to do everything as fast as you accurately can, re-holster to do it again as fast as you can. I do not like re holstering again and again while my shirt is getting sloppy and things are just getting a little out of place I am very conscious of my clothing and my trigger but I hate holstering fast. It also makes me nervous that others might not be as conscious. This really bugs me when we are doing drills in the dark with the flashlights. Most AD’s in relation to drawing drills happen while re-holstering. Instructors in my opinion need to slow down, I am not saying we need to slow down the draw and the firing or the reloads just time for the re holster. I know one instructor that would stop and give people time to re adjust their cloth so no clothes would grab a trigger while reholstering. I might also add I use a striker fire with no safety, and this would be the only reason I can see having one on a striker. Please give me your thoughts on why a fast reholster would be necessary and if you think it is needed in training.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I'm not going to say there would never be a need to reholster quickly, but I don't do it fast at all. I always go slowly and carefully and it's never been an issue with any of the training I've done, which is quite a bit.

If you're going to instructors who push people on the reholster...I'd go elsewhere.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

You "should" have the ability to re-holster in a crisis. You do not need to train that live, and I would suggest not doing it live. Holster ing optimally is done reluctantly. Some of the worst habits I see on the range are speed holstering and poor post shooting habits.
    When I trained my guys,they were required to holster a fully loaded firearm if possible. Meaning,they had to conduct post shooting processing and SOP's and then perform a Tac load. This very much builds great habits in that by going to a ready, truly assessing, and performing a Tac load also does several other things. It gets situational awareness back, it gets fingers out of trigger guards, it allows time for de-cocking and safety re-engagement as needed.
    I think many trainers and venues make the mistake of not allowing or emphasizing post shooting activities. Simply choices in what you are doing, and priorities.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Who is forcing you to reholster quickly? If I might need to tuck my shirt in I'll get the instructors attention or I'll just skip the next iteration.

Site Supporter
    I've been at plenty of classes where the pace of drills is too fast to do a good reluctant holster. Keep at your own pace and skip a drill if you have to.

I've also been the only guy IWB holster that actually conceals where everyone else is rocking the OWB that is like 3 inches away from your body and are not running concealed. Just got to go at your own pace.

Cookie Monster

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    The one thing that really bothers me when training is the speed that you are required to re-holster. You are given commands to do everything as fast as you accurately can, re-holster to do it again as fast as you can. I do not like re holstering again and again while my shirt is getting sloppy and things are just getting a little out of place I am very conscious of my clothing and my trigger but I hate holstering fast. It also makes me nervous that others might not be as conscious. This really bugs me when we are doing drills in the dark with the flashlights. Most AD’s in relation to drawing drills happen while re-holstering. Instructors in my opinion need to slow down, I am not saying we need to slow down the draw and the firing or the reloads just time for the re holster. I know one instructor that would stop and give people time to re adjust their cloth so no clothes would grab a trigger while reholstering. I might also add I use a striker fire with no safety, and this would be the only reason I can see having one on a striker. Please give me your thoughts on why a fast reholster would be necessary and if you think it is needed in training.
    Re-holstering as fast as you can and in the dark too, WTF!. Seriously, did you have an instructor tell you to re-holster as fast as you can?

I have seen a few situation where you need to holster quickly and without looking at the holster. But they are all more police issues than CHL. I have had my gun out and immediately needed to holster to go hands on. Being able to go straight to the holster, without looking, in an expedicious fashion is sometimes useful... It's probably best learned and practice with a red gun. But on the range, we tell folks it is not a race back to the holster. The FIs chant "scan left, scan right, check 6, then re holster and snap in" after each stage. If you just had to shoot at someone, there is no need to go back to the holster until you have back up or you are sure the threat is down.

-------------
    Side note on re holstering: I had a co worker watching the side of a house while we were banging on the door. Bad guy jumped out a window (through the glass) and my co worker and he got into a scuffle. Co worked had drawn his gun, then got into a wrestling match almost instantly. He had a cheap ass suede IBW holster and could not physically re holster. He ended up having to pistol whip the suspect, until the guys at the front door got around to the side of the house. Could our guy have legally shot the suspect? Probably. But from the jump out the window to full on fight was about 2 seconds. Then for the other agents to come subdue the suspect, roughly 10 seconds. After the fray, he said he wanted to re holster, but couldn't, so he was committed to the pistol in hand with the bad guy wraped around his leg attempting a takedown. As you can guess, OPR (our internal affairs) was called out and a big stink ensued... The agents career survived and he has a much better holster theses days.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    The FIs chant "scan left, scan right, check 6, then re holster and snap in" after each stage.
    Sort of off topic, but I don't think this type of range behavior does much to promote post-shooting behavior. What it does do is teach people the "courtesy scan" mostly done to appease the range master if he doesn't see their heads moving. People swing their heads around, don't actually pay attention to anything, and still run back to the holster. I am fine with trying to promote scanning, but the problem with doing it with no context is that seeing is a mental process, not a movement. Shooters need to pay "attention" and actually look at what other people are doing on the range, really check or top off the weapon, actually communicate, and not just run through range dances.

Anyone who forces a speed reholster outside of very specific LE related criteria AND while one is using a duty type rig, or forces the pace of drills at that tempo so that students can not safely reholster or have time to do a post-shooting evaluation, is doing it wrong.

Trying to force a reholster when clothing has made doing so unsafe is a sign that the instructor isn't paying attention to some really important stuff.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Everything folks have said up to this point is spot on. the only thing that I would add is that if your shirt does get caught up in the holster DO NOT tug on the shirt to clear it. I have witnessed quite a few supposedly "Turned On" shooters, instructors and SO's start tugging on the shirt when they notice it's caught up in the holster. Usually while I'm in the middle of screaming across the range for them to FREESE.

To prevent the gun from making loud unintentional noises carefully remove the gun from the holster then clear the shirt. Again I only say this because I have even witnessed instructors from our State Police academy staff make this mistake.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

User Tag List