Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New lever gun in .460S&W, and .454, and .45Colt......

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I'm not seeing what this gives you over a decent .45-70, and why it costs as much as it does.
    Ammo commonality with your .460 revolver and it is a custom rifle.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Ammo commonality with your .460 revolver and it is a custom rifle.
    With both of them being able to use .460, .454, or .45 Colt. Not bad for a rural combo. Why couldn't Marlin chamber a Guide Gun in .460?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I'm not positive what thre chamber pressure of the 460 is, but I dont think the Marlin action can take the pressure that the 460 has. I'm pretty sure they wont take the 454, or not for very long at full pressure loads.

Point taken.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Those pistol cartridges (.454, .460, .500), as I understand it, operate at very high pressures.

I love new stuff, but this seems like a product primarily designed to liberate rich shooters from their money. A .45-70 Guide Gun or equivalent, shooting hard cast, flat meplat style loads, is the gold standard as a stopping gun around bears and large animals.

I have never understood this fascination with handgun and rifle using the same cartridge -- same kind of logic that would have us chamber our M4 AR in 9mm, because we carry a Glock 17.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"I love new stuff, but this seems like a product primarily designed to liberate rich shooters from their money. A .45-70 Guide Gun or equivalent, shooting hard cast, flat meplat style loads, is the gold standard as a stopping gun around bears and large animals. "

My thoughts exactly!

I have also found that the higher pressure cartridges usually means a faster recoil velocity as well...
    Last edited by Colt191145lover; 06-17-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: oops

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I'm not positive what thre chamber pressure of the 460 is, but I dont think the Marlin action can take the pressure that the 460 has. I'm pretty sure they wont take the 454, or not for very long at full pressure loads.
    That's what I've heard as well. A gunsmith buddy told me that the BLR action would be best for the .460
    #RESIST

I'm sure that the Bighorn armory gun is OK with the 460, but in comparing with the Marlin, yes, the BLR is much more appropriate. Most of us dont have the $3k for a gun like the Bighorn Armory though.

A Ruger Alaskan Toklat and one of these would be a fine combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List