Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird appendix holster issue today

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I also decided it was going to be hard to fly the aircraft with one hand holding a pistol, regardless of what kind of register position I had. I then dropped the magazine, let go of the controls and jacked the cartridge out into the cockpit, and holstered the pistol. About five minutes later, I mentioned to my wife I had a little appendix problem.

I was wondering if you thought a viable alternative would be to place it under your left thigh with the muzzle pointing out the door.

The only time I ever had a pistol pop out of an AIWB holster was a GL30 came out of a Mad Dog IWB holster worn AIWB.
    I was doing plyometric exercise jumping up on and down from a 22'' box. GL30 Came fully out at the top of the up jump and I got a perfect muzzle on view of the GL30 as it fell hitting the box and then the floor.
    That holster was no longer used by me. I test carry gear for comfort and retention by working out with it.
    I don't think I want to try to simulate that aircraft drop during a workout though.

The holster is a high quality, closed bottom, model specific kydex AIWB specific holster. I wear it as low as I can and still clear my knuckles on my 1.5 inch, Talon Tactical belt. Retention is via friction, and an adjustment screw, as opposed to the Blade Tech click style. I am not mentioning the holster name, as I think the issue was a combination of circumstances -- turbulence, pressure from the seat belt system, possibly my flight vest pulling up on the butt of the pistol in the bumps, my own failure to adjust the retention screw tight enough for my use, and not a design issue with the holster.

I have a few of the tanker style holsters, but I made a decision to stop using them, since they are not molded to the individual pistol trigger guard, and rely on a fairly thin thumb strap for retention. A contributing factor was when a physician friend worked on a guy that shot himself using one. I previously used Survival Sheath shoulder holsters in the plane, but stopped four or five years ago when I started carrying appendix. I really prefer not to take the gun out of my appendix holster, transfer to the shoulder holster, and back to AIWB out of the aircraft.

Ultimately, sh_t happens -- I have perhaps 2,000 flight hours wearing an AIWB holster, and this was a first. I will be more careful about cranking the retention level where that is an option.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That's a seriously baller learning experience to have! Thanks for sharing it.

I took a ride with one of my buddies that has racing harnesses in his little hot rod rally car, and I couldn't figure out the best way to situate my appendix carry. I'd normally pull up my shirt and set the waist belt behind the slide/sweat guard, but that didn't work. I wound up dropping mag and clearing the chamber, just to be safe. I don't like to do that, but thought it safer than having a live gun come free while taking rough turns at speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This happens when your fat too.....just saying. This is why mine are buried deeper than most with a harder forward muzzle cant.

I tried a bunch of different things when I was in air support, especially because we often flew with no doors. After all the shoulder, chest, rigs, etc I went with a firm nylon duty type belt witha Safriland SLS type holster on a fairly long shank. This with a G34 and a pair of 30 round spare mags on he left side was my helo rig for about 3 years and a ton of flight hours in a full belt harness. Keeping the gun off on the side and mag pouches kept the front clean so there was no stick interference for either the pilot or me when flying.

I still keep a similar set up under my bed if I grab the nightstand gun. Gives me an easy on system and a place to put the gun. For flying, it would be easy to build a rig like this just for the plane or helo, and you can take it off and transfer to a concealment rig when you land.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I figured I knew which holster GJM was using and didn't think my comments on design applied - just a mini rant given the huge derp out there on aiwb these days. I suppose the issue I've seen is body dependent as well, but I have seen more issues with higher riding holsters. Also with kydex, as mentioned above. I REALLY wish someone would make an AIWB ALS holster that actually worked as needed.

"I REALLY wish someone would make an AIWB ALS holster that actually worked as needed."
    Yes indeed!
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I hope I'm not going too far off topic.

I did a search and read through the various appendix threads but couldn't find the answer. I was wondering what the SME's in this thread consider the proper ride height for an AIWB holster? I assume this is very body style dependent?

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersauras View Post
    I hope I'm not going too far off topic.

I did a search and read through the various appendix threads but couldn't find the answer. I was wondering what the SME's in this thread consider the proper ride height for an AIWB holster? I assume this is very body style dependent?
    Totally depends. If speed is your main concern, higher will usually be better. If concealment is a bigger concern, lower will usually be better. If weapon retention is a concern, lower is better. Comfort could be higher or lower, depending on your build. Retention while running or fighting? Lower is better.

Think of it as leverage, and you'll get the idea.

I know people will disagree with the above, but it is basically true. Not that you can't do it another way, but these are guidelines for determining what matters to you.

Totally agree.

User Tag List