Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird appendix holster issue today

Weird appendix holster issue today

My wife and I were out exploring in SW Alaska this morning flying two bush planes. We had just found a herd of about 1,000 caribou, and were cruising west. I was the lead plane and flew into some turbulence with mountain wave consisting of a 1,000 fpm down draft. Since I was only 2,000 feet above the ground, it got my attention, and I reversed course trying to exit the down flowing air.

Part way through my 180 degree turn, bouncing up and down, I heard a clunk to my right. I looked right, trying to figure out what happened, when I saw what looked like my Sig 320 Compact .357 Sig bouncing on the floor of the cockpit. Mindful of aviate, navigate and communicate, initially I stayed focused on flying the aircraft, while considering what to do. I decided I couldn't let the pistol flop around in the cockpit lest it get caught in my rear controls, or discharge. I switched the stick to my left hand, and grabbed the pistol with my right hand. I held the pistol in my right hand, with flight gloves on, and decided I wasn't holstering a loaded striker into my appendix holster while trying to fly in turbulence, which required snaking the pistol through my five point restraint system.

I also decided it was going to be hard to fly the aircraft with one hand holding a pistol, regardless of what kind of register position I had. I then dropped the magazine, let go of the controls and jacked the cartridge out into the cockpit, and holstered the pistol. About five minutes later, I mentioned to my wife I had a little appendix problem.

I can't for the life of me figure out what happened. I didn't have the holster (lead company kydex for the 320 C with a retention screw) cranked down super tight, but my best guess is a combination of the turbulence, maybe going negative a bit momentarily, and my seat belts came together to pop that sucker out. After I landed, I got my Leatherman out and cranked down the retention.

Later my wife was joking, that it only being a 320, I should have tossed it out the window of the aircraft. When I told YVK, he said I should have fired the entire magazine out the window and then holstered it, as a stop gap to carrying a LEM. While I have wondered what five point seatbelt would do to your appendix holster in a sudden stop, this was a first in terms of having the pistol go airborne.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Is it an open or closed bottom holster?

Maybe go back to a shoulder holster while flying; leave a shoulder rig in each plane and treat it like any other piece of flying gear?

In aiwb holsters made more for games and speed rather than for carry, I have seen belts get under the front strap and lever them out. I have seen it several times myself, and can almost replicate it on demand with various outer belts, like chainsaw chaps. I don't know what holster you were using, or how high it was set, but that is one reason all of the AIWB designs I have been a part of sit as low as possible, while still allowing a full grip. BTW, when I say "games and speed" I'm mostly referring to the height of the gun. The higher it sits, the faster the gun draws.

As an aside, this is also why the aiwb "trend" frustrates me. There are lots of guys now making holsters, who really know nothing about it. I doubt you're using one of those, but the internet is full of fly by night aiwb makers and users.

Glad everything worked out ok. Please give us more details when you can.

Leather or kydex?

I note that Southnarc has seen that leather holds the gun in better in retention situations/grappling than kydex. Once the gun pops past the kydex molding it's basically free, leather has a bit of drag to it. I'm extrapolating from ECQC to flying of course, but it seems to make sense.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Once the gun pops past the kydex molding it's basically free
    True. The "click" type holsters, like a Blade Tech, seem worse than something like a Shaggy.

Wild learning. Very cool report.

I'm way more freaked over the flying challenge though. How close of a call did that turn out to be?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Wild learning. Very cool report.

I'm way more freaked over the flying challenge though. How close of a call did that turn out to be?
    I've not been in exactly that situation, but was once in the police helo observing when we hit a downdraft and dropped 1500ft in like 30 seconds, which was really exciting for me since we had been cruising along at about 1800ft heading to a prowler call to back the street units
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Maybe go back to a shoulder holster while flying; leave a shoulder rig in each plane and treat it like any other piece of flying gear?
    Our aviation unit (helicopter) all have an across body setup...something like this:

Might be worth looking into if it works for them...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I have found that "tanker" style holster to be VERY useful in a wide range of circumstances.
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List