Page 110 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1473

Thread: SCW2 - Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Would you mind sharing the details on this? I've never heard of it. How do you do it and what's the purpose?
    I have heard that one of the potential issues you could face when dry firing Glocks a lot is that the breachface will crack. Something to do with how the firing pin assembly hits it if you do not have something to cushion the force of the firing pin. My thought was to use the snap cap so that the rubber in the primer pocket can help cushion the force of the FP, and then removing the lip on the snap cap can allow me to run the slide and not eject it. It doesn't sound like this happens to all Glocks, and the customer service seems to take care of customers in terms of replacing slides, but I figured if I have a cheap fix to avoid the hassle I might as well use it.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I have heard that one of the potential issues you could face when dry firing Glocks a lot is that the breachface will crack. Something to do with how the firing pin assembly hits it if you do not have something to cushion the force of the firing pin. My thought was to use the snap cap so that the rubber in the primer pocket can help cushion the force of the FP, and then removing the lip on the snap cap can allow me to run the slide and not eject it. It doesn't sound like this happens to all Glocks, and the customer service seems to take care of customers in terms of replacing slides, but I figured if I have a cheap fix to avoid the hassle I might as well use it.
    Cool idea! I hadn't thought of that.

Personally, I basically execute a press check to cock the striker without ejecting the round. Haven't had any issues. The only part where the procedure gets slow and tedious is in practicing slidelock reloads, but there really is no way around it. I keep a mag full of snap caps and then work through them until the mag is empty. The dremel trick unfortunately wouldn't work there, because the claw would just double feed a round. Though, I guess you could do it with the spare mag empty...hmm...The only downside I can think of for that is that the slide stop would be slightly unrealistically harder to disengage because it's working against the follower too.

good news was tonight i got a decent amount of dry fire time in. downside was it was on SIRT and no draws. Friend came over and I wanted to dry fire so ended up working 2H and 1H trigger work, transitions, and shots from low ready. I wouldn't have felt comfortable practicing with him around and distracted while talking at the same time, but SIRT allowed me to spend a good amount of time practicing. More practice tmrw morning with SIRT most likely, then dedicated draws on CZ later in evening.

1/11 just spent about 30 minutes today working draws and trigger presses on the CZ. Started with aimed shots, finished with speed mode. Need to charge my timer so I can push myself on the clock again...

Spent more time later in evening using Theraband and messing around with the SIRT.

Jan 12

20 minutes of dry fire. Combination draws and presentations from low ready with the CZ 75. Range was 5-7 yards, with target of 1", 2", 3x5, and 8" circles. Hoping to get some live fire this weekend!

Jan 13

70 minutes LSD cardio today, followed by 15 minutes dry fire at home with SIRT. Worked presentation from pressout and low ready.

1/14

Dry fire 10 minutes on draws with CZ 75, followed by 5 minutes working wall drills with G19.

Live fire first time in about a month with the CZ.

More dry fire and LSD cardio tmrw!

1/15

Quick dry fire session today. Used my CZ 75 in CCC Gestalt holster.

2 min each for drills 1-12 from Steve Anderson's dryfire book.

Approximately 10 minutes working draws to a 3x5 at 7 yards. Started with aimed shots, then worked a bit on speed dropping pars from 0.9 to 0.6 sec with varying success. Something I noticed yesterday in live fire (to be documented) and dry fire today was that I'm not always just bringing the gun up into my eye line, but instead doing a mix where I bring my head down too. I think there is too much tension or something, but ultimately that's probably less repeatable so worked to consciously fix that when I noticed it creeping in.

Approximately 5 minutes doing the "trigger now" drill on the timer. Used the start and end been in multiple ways. One was to shoot twice, starting at each beep and ending before each beep. The other was to spam multiple shots between the entire sequence. Since I had a 0.6 sec par time set on it I would be able to squeeze several shots in. Really seemed to clean up my trigger work over the short time working on this and will throw this back into the dry fire mix. Maybe do it live too.

To do: order holsters, additional CZ parts and ammo. Sad to see it's a longer wait time on DSG, but hopefully it'll be worth it. The question is do I get a G34 or G17 AIWB holster from him. Only have G19 now, but over time expect to get a G17 and/or G34...

What were your thoughts on the jmck holster for the glock?

Congrats on winning the giveaway! It's much deserved with all your hard work and commitment to getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    What were your thoughts on the jmck holster for the glock?

Congrats on winning the giveaway! It's much deserved with all your hard work and commitment to getting better.
    So far I think the JM holster is pretty nice. The one thing I'm not sure about yet is whether I would be better off with a longer holster for a G17 or G34 in terms of how it would position the gun for my body. Overall security and comfort is pretty good, and it conceals relatively well.

I emailed Tom and will be putting in an order for the DSG AIWB with wing for a G17/34 in addition to one for the J frame, plus will likely pick up a CCC one as well. Once I get some more time on the various holsters I think I'll be able to provide a more nuanced comparison, but I would have no concerns recommending the JM holster to anyone.

User Tag List