Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Accupower 1-4

I got out this afternoon to take some reticle pics of the Accupower 1-4. I bought a used Larue SPR-E VFZ (non-QD) off Arfcom yesterday so hopefully it'll be here next week for me to mount and zero. In the meantime, my observations about the Accupower are all positive. You have to understand that I've been staunchly against LPV's for a long time. The concept sounds good and all, but everything I'd messed with up until this point had let me down in one way or another. Usually it was that the scope lacked a true 1X on the bottom end. I live in Northeast GA and both natural terrain and matches are all pretty much inside 100 yds. For that distance, the red dot is king. Try running a shoot house or a 3gn bay stage with a 1.25 or 1.5 on the bottom end and those 5 ft targets will eat your lunch. However, I do see the utility of the higher magnification, be it shooting something farther away, or finding/identifying a partially-occluded or dimly-lit target. Some of the earlier scopes that bragged about true 1X (Accupoint, Vortex Razor 1-6) gave horrible fisheye, which I still found distracting for close up targets. Then, you have reticle design. I prefer simpler, faster, ballpark to slower but more precise, so the 5.56 BDC segmented circle in the Accupower is right up my alley. It's similar to shooting a TA-11 ACOG with a Horseshoe. You've got this big, fat, in your face circle for closeup speed, but then very clearly-defined holdovers for distance. The glass is fantastic as well.

Perhaps my favorite thing about the Accupower is its ability to disappear. In the pics below you'll see what I mean. Because of the great eye box, field of view, true flat 1X, and low overall profile, you really don't find yourself looking through the scope on 1X. Rather, it's very much like looking through an Aimpoint or Eotech in that your focus stays on the target and you simply move the reticle onto the target vs "looking through" the optic.

I suppose the one thing that some will consider a downside to this optic is its lack of firedot-bight reticle. The reticle does illuminate and you can see it during daylight hours, but the color will wash out on a bright background in bright sunlight. However, the bold black reticle makes this a non-issue. This was another thing that was on my LPV wish list: that the reticle had to be visible/useable without illumination. For example, I love the Leupold Mark 6, but with its FFP design, the reticle shrinks on 1X and becomes a blazing bright dot. That's great so long as your battery is working, but without illumination, that tiny 1X aiming point can be hard to find. Hence, the SFP (same size throughout power range) bold black reticle in the Accupower is a great choice. Finally, Trijicon did a great job keeping the weight manageable. With most of the popular LPV's weighing in at 20+ oz, the 16oz Accupower is quite nice.

Well, that's enough rambling for now. I'll be mounting this on my 3gun rifle and putting it through its paces in the coming months. Wish me luck!

Pictures show an IDPA silhouette at roughly 20 yds:

1X, no illumination, full afternoon sun:

1X, max illumination, full afternoon sun:

4X, max illumination, full afternoon sun:

1X, max illumination, same lighting, target in shade:
    Last edited by ASH556; 07-10-2015 at 08:14 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    That looks pretty good. I wish more manufacturers would use a segmented circle instead of a horseshoe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Ash I love mine to. I'll get some pics up after I get to the range

I saw the segmented circle at warrior expo today. Pretty cool, the glass is really clear. Trijicon knows their stuff.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Ash, really appreciate the time you took to provide the pics and feedback. Great info.

I shot mine today, it is a really awesome scope. But lets talk about the "bad" first, day light illumination was not the greatest. Not a negative for me since I still have a badass reticle to use. I was averaging first shots at 7 yards in the .65 range, which is about what I do with irons or a dot. The glass is really clear and the throw lever is the smoothest I have felt. I ran a drill where I shot at 50, sprinted to 25 and shot 2 more. I then ran to an area about 30 yards away and had to shoot two plates at 250 and 350. I throw that sucker in prone and was easily able to adjust off impacts. All and all, if it proves durable I do not see this scope going anywhere.

*A side note, we had a "scare" the other night (my wife heard something down stairs and the dogs growled) and I grabbed my carbine with this optic on it. Without realizing it I had turned on the illumination when I press checked the gun. Turned out to be nothing but found it funny that I was worried I would forget to "turn" on the recticle. Regardless, I run a light on my carbine so if I did forget I would just light up the target with 250 lumens

VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I want to get some flip up covers for my accupower. Which ones from butler creek do I need?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I want to get some flip up covers for my accupower. Which ones from butler creek do I need?
    Get a scope coat. Easier on and off and you don't have to deal with the covers when they break or obstruct your view.
    VDMSR.com

Our new ARs (M&P 15s Magpul Edition...) come with the standard front sight and flip up rear. Will the front sight interfere with the sight picture of the Accupower 1-4x 24 too much? Or is it base dependent?

Silly question probably but I have an astigmatism and the Aimpoint Pro dot looks like a comma.

User Tag List