Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Redhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Needs better grip options. That round butt just squirms too much.
    I somehow managed not to notice the round-butting until now. I imagine somebody will probably come up with square butt grips to fit it.

I posted this because I figured folks would enjoy it, but I have to confess, I don't see the point. I can get a .44 Mag and load it up with .44 Specials, or handload whatever level of power I choose, and get the same variety of loads. Hell, I already do that with my Vaquero. I guess I just don't see the attraction in being able to swap between .45 ACP and .45 LC when I already have a similar capability in my .44 Mag.

Hamilton Bowen built me a .45 LC Alpine (four inch Redhwak with a round butt). Round butt sucks in recoil, and I had him build me another in .44 magnum with a square butt, which I much prefer. It is still too heavy compared to a Smith. No way .45 ACP and heavy .45 LC will get along with the same front sight. In .44, I have different .44 special and magnum guns, as regulation requires a different front sight as there is not sufficient adjustment join the rear sight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I posted this because I figured folks would enjoy it, but I have to confess, I don't see the point. I can get a .44 Mag and load it up with .44 Specials, or handload whatever level of power I choose, and get the same variety of loads. Hell, I already do that with my Vaquero. I guess I just don't see the attraction in being able to swap between .45 ACP and .45 LC when I already have a similar capability in my .44 Mag.
    I had a chopped custom S&W M25 in .45acp. The cool factor was high, but it was a lot of iron for six .45acp rounds. Since I don't see .45acp as a woods round, an Officer's Model made more sense. Heavy handloads in .44 magnum and .45 Colt are identical in everything but frontal area so I could live with either one for a woods/hunting revolver.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I almost posted this as a side-kick to the .460/.454/.45Colt lever gun I posted.

It would seem a guy could get quite a bit of practice in with .45acp, and carry the heavy .45Colt ammo as needed.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I almost posted this as a side-kick to the .460/.454/.45Colt lever gun I posted.

It would seem a guy could get quite a bit of practice in with .45acp, and carry the heavy .45Colt ammo as needed.
    If you reload, the .45 Colt is an extremely versatile cartridge. You can let a 200 gr pill loaf along at 800fps or you can (in a Ruger) push a 300 gr pill to 1250fps. I don't know that I'd push this particular model that hard, but a 255 gr making 1150 or so would likely be in the Goldilocks zone for me. Most factory ammo isn't loaded very hot at all since it'd be rough (or catastrophic) on older or clone revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

That appeals to me. I'm not reloading and have no enthusiasm to re-start.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If you reload, the .45 Colt is an extremely versatile cartridge. You can let a 200 gr pill loaf along at 800fps or you can (in a Ruger) push a 300 gr pill to 1250fps. I don't know that I'd push this particular model that hard, but a 255 gr making 1150 or so would likely be in the Goldilocks zone for me. Most factory ammo isn't loaded very hot at all since it'd be rough (or catastrophic) on older or clone revolvers.
    I had two David Clements 5-shot revolvers built on Ruger Bisleys, a 45 Colt and a 454 Casull. Either gun would safely move a 350-grain bullet at 1,350 fps or a 325-grain bullet a little north of 1,400 fps, at which point the whole exercise became academic. Recoil seemed to increase exponentially as I went beyond a 250-grain bullet at 1,200 fps, and I really appreciated how the Bisley grip frame helped abate recoil. After owning those two revolvers, I have no desire to shoot anything hotter than a 250 at 1,200 fps in a DA revolver, and I'd rather keep it to a 250 at 1,000. Been there, done that, got the flinch.

Okie John

Agrees with specs for IDPA REV-E.

Another possibility would be to carry the gun loaded with Long Colt rounds and have moon clips with 45acp for reloads.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List