Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Redhawk

Concerning to hear about your problems with the gun and the company.
    Has anyone here run into similar problems with the older 45 redhawk? Mine has been okay, but I've only got the one, and it's not a really high round count gun. I'm curious what they've changed that's hurt reliability.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Concerning to hear about your problems with the gun and the company.
    Has anyone here run into similar problems with the older 45 redhawk? Mine has been okay, but I've only got the one, and it's not a really high round count gun. I'm curious what they've changed that's hurt reliability.
    I'm guessing the cuts for moon clips. Maybe they took too much meat off? The issue is certainly more pronounced with .45 ACP. Failure to ignite .45 ACP was 2 or 3 per cylinder. Failure to ignite .45 Colt was closer to 1/18.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm guessing the cuts for moon clips. Maybe they took too much meat off? The issue is certainly more pronounced with .45 ACP. Failure to ignite .45 ACP was 2 or 3 per cylinder. Failure to ignite .45 Colt was closer to 1/18.
    Obviously your experience is a buzz killer about this concept but a lot of us owe you a debt of gratitude for getting out on the bleeding edge with this trial.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Obviously your experience is a buzz killer about this concept but a lot of us owe you a debt of gratitude for getting out on the bleeding edge with this trial.
    Thanks. They must think they have it fixed. I got notification from FedEx its on its way back to me.

Rim thickness for .45acp is .049" and for .45 colt is .060". Without the clips the thicker .45 colt rounds still have a lip on the outside of the cylinder (the part not cut for moonclips) and support from the recoil shield to keep the case from wobbling when the cylinder in locked in place. In theory there shouldn't be any reduced reliability for cylinders cut for moonclips using no clips and rimmed cartridges.

Of course, theory and practice and whatnot.

They got it working fine in single action, but it's still unreliable in double action unless you use soft primers. They replaced the cylinder and extractor and there is zero end shake now.

Option #1: Return it to Ruger and continue to beta test
    Option #2: Buy increased power mainspring from Bowen Classic Arms
    Option #3: Sell or trade to someone who doesn't reload and is ok with using Winchester or Speer ammo

Ruger lost a customer on this one.

They got it working fine in single action, but it's still unreliable in double action unless you use soft primers. They replaced the cylinder and extractor and there is zero end shake now.

Option #1: Return it to Ruger and continue to beta test
    Option #2: Buy increased power mainspring from Bowen Classic Arms
    Option #3: Sell or trade to someone who doesn't reload and is ok with using Winchester or Speer ammo

Ruger lost a customer on this one.
    Sorry to hear that BB. If it were mine, I'd send it back on their dime and make them get it right. Maybe make them swap it for a .44 mag that works?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Sorry to hear that BB. If it were mine, I'd send it back on their dime and make them get it right. Maybe make them swap it for a .44 mag that works?
    I got the .45 because it's easier logistically for me. I reload .45 Auto anyway, so no need to buy different bullets, powders that work well in .45 Auto work well in .45 Colt, factory defensive ammo for my P220 will work with moon clips, etc. I consolidated away from .44 mag awhile ago.

The left two are double action, the right two are single action.

Edit: Oops dumb thought about the new .454 Casull SA Ruger.

But the convertible .45 Blackhawks are pretty slick
    Last edited by JHC; 09-01-2015 at 01:34 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List