Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Redhawk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I dropped it off at FedEx on the way to work today, so back to the factory again. I included a copy of the picture above. Maybe this time instead of shooting it off a rest slow fire they will actually see what the problem is and test fire it to recreate the conditions I'm telling them it fails under.

Side note: I'm satisfied with the accuracy when it bothers to go off. Doing some unintentional ball and dummy drills it wasn't much effort to keep it in a 1" square at 7y. Misses were me shoving at it and pushing it a bit low. I'm still figuring out my grip. For such a big revolver, the length from the back strap to the trigger when fully depressed is surprisingly short. My standard revolver thumb print on thumb nail has me contacting my left hand with my trigger finger if I don't think to back it out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I dropped it off at FedEx on the way to work today, so back to the factory again. I included a copy of the picture above. Maybe this time instead of shooting it off a rest slow fire they will actually see what the problem is and test fire it to recreate the conditions I'm telling them it fails under.

Side note: I'm satisfied with the accuracy when it bothers to go off. Doing some unintentional ball and dummy drills it wasn't much effort to keep it in a 1" square at 7y. Misses were me shoving at it and pushing it a bit low. I'm still figuring out my grip. For such a big revolver, the length from the back strap to the trigger when fully depressed is surprisingly short. My standard revolver thumb print on thumb nail has me contacting my left hand with my trigger finger if I don't think to back it out a bit.
    Wow. 4th trip back? If Ruger doesn't get it squared away you might call Tom at TK custom and ask him. They have .032in clips for the new Redhawk, but I notice that the clips for the SRH conversion is .040". If it's working in SA now (and in DA with .45 colt?) it seems like thicker moonclips are worth trying.

Probably get better results talking to a gunsmith that knows clipped revolvers than talking to anyone at Ruger. (At least anyone a mere mortal can get on the phone.)
    Last edited by jh9; 09-03-2015 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Wow. 4th trip back? If Ruger doesn't get it squared away you might call Tom at TK custom and ask him. They have .032in clips for the new Redhawk, but I notice that the clips for the SRH conversion is .040". If it's working in SA now (and in DA with .45 colt?) it seems like thicker moonclips are worth trying.

Probably get better results talking to a gunsmith that knows clipped revolvers than talking to anyone at Ruger. (At least anyone a mere mortal can get on the phone.)
    So far we are at:

1st: LGS got one in, rear sight blade was broken into two pieces. I did not purchase that one.
    2nd: Ordered online, had ignition issues, sent to Ruger
    3rd: Ignition issues continue, sent to Ruger again.

So far we are at:

1st: LGS got one in, rear sight blade was broken into two pieces. I did not purchase that one.
    2nd: Ordered online, had ignition issues, sent to Ruger
    3rd: Ignition issues continue, sent to Ruger again.
    The 1st one I don't know if I could fault Ruger on. That could have happened at the distribution / during shipping / etc.

But yeah. 2 trips back is bad. Hope it doesn't need a 3rd.

The 1st one I don't know if I could fault Ruger on. That could have happened at the distribution / during shipping / etc.

But yeah. 2 trips back is bad. Hope it doesn't need a 3rd.
    Yeah, the 1st one was probably on the distributor. From earlier in the thread:

They called me at 4pm that it was checked in. At 4:30 I was at the counter. The gun was dirty. It had obviously been fired several times, not just a factory firing, and with filthy ammo. Each chamber in the cylinder was full of soot. I could probably deal with that...but they broke it. The rear sight was broken and missing the right half. It wasn't in the box, either, so definitely not some fluke shipping damage. Their wholesaler broke it, and apparently didn't want to admit it to the boss so they just boxed it up and sent it off. They don't know when they can get a new one, so I guess I'm going online.

Yeah, the 1st one was probably on the distributor. From earlier in the thread:
    So the only possible explanation I've got, WRT your Ruger luck, is that you live on an indian burial ground.

have you considered moving?

So the only possible explanation I've got, WRT your Ruger luck, is that you live on an indian burial ground.

have you considered moving?
    ...well, that is a possibility.

LCR: Flawless
    SP101: Flawless
    Security Six: Flawless
    Match Champion GP100: random tool mark, but mechanically flawless
    Wiley Clapp GP100: Original finish was very soft, but Ruger refinished it and has since been flawless
    10-22 Takedown: Flawless
    American .22 magnum: Flawless
    Redhawk: Hates me and everything about me. Seethes at the very thought of firing a bullet for me.

Have two here.
    During testing, fired 17 commercial loads, split between ACP & Colt.

No ignition problems.

Gun is unpleasant to shoot with high-octane Buffalo Bores with that round grip.
    ACP accuracy ran from decent to horrendous.

Great difference in elevation at 25 yards, if you want to use the same sight setting for both calibers you'll need to match bullet weights & velocities between the two as close as you can.

Triggers are heavy, SA can be adjusted down.

Quote Originally Posted by DPris View Post
    Have two here.
    During testing, fired 17 commercial loads, split between ACP & Colt.

No ignition problems.

Gun is unpleasant to shoot with high-octane Buffalo Bores with that round grip.
    ACP accuracy ran from decent to horrendous.

Great difference in elevation at 25 yards, if you want to use the same sight setting for both calibers you'll need to match bullet weights & velocities between the two as close as you can.

Triggers are heavy, SA can be adjusted down.
    Well, it's good to know they can build one that works. Perhaps they'll swap mine out for one of them.

Just be aware that it may take several tries to find an ACP load that shoots relatively tight.

One BB load keyholed in both guns.
    And that one still shot smaller groups than a couple other ACPs.
    Last edited by DPris; 09-09-2015 at 01:35 PM.

User Tag List