Thread: Stag? I thought he preferred ivory...

Stag? I thought he preferred ivory...

Colt .45 revolver owned by Patton fetches $75G at auction | Fox News
    Photo from site:

A Colt .45 revolver once owned by General George S. Patton sold for $75,000 at auction in Los Angeles Thursday.

Profiles in History, which conducted the auction, had expected the working firearm to fetch over $60,000. The Colt .45 Model 1873 single-action revolver with distinctive stag horn grip was acquired by the famous World War II general around 1928.

The gun, owned by Patton until his death in 1945, is often considered to be a version of his famous ivory-handled Colt. 45, which is on display at The General George Patton Museum and Center of Leadership in Fort Knox, KY. The weapon’s $75,000 price tag includes the buyer’s premium.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Anything but pearl, I suppose!

And also anything but a 1911. He apparently had a bit of a problem with a light trigger and unintentional discharge and stayed with revolvers after that.

I recall a story in which his holstered handgun went off, but I don't recall what model it was. I read Ordeal and Triumph a long, long time ago, and never re-read it.

BTW, the typo in the subject line notwithstanding, I haven't had a drop to drink today...
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Thanks.

And now that dinner's done, I can remedy that condition. A rather tasty home-made sangria, if I do say so myself.
    Glenn Reynolds

The gun, owned by Patton until his death in 1945, is often considered to be a version of his famous ivory-handled Colt. 45,
    WTF is that supposed to mean? That little rant aside, I've always had a thing for stag grips.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Only recently have I discovered Stag. I like them as well now. With stag grips, like ivory (and maybe more so) it gives a sort of natural feel to the gun, and a sort of "warm" connection that synthetics cannot bring. I also think the stag is far less fragile than ivory. I find them more appropriate than ivory for a field gun. The gun pictured was probably something Patton was using well before he was "General" Patton.

Now, I just need to find another 3.5" Registered magnum with Stags that was his, and I will be all set.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Now, I just need to find another 3.5" Registered magnum with Stags that was his, and I will be all set.
    No you won't. You've got retro-itis too bad.

Patton ordered the famous engraved, ivory gripped SAA in 1916.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post

If I remember right (and its been awhile so I might not) that pistol in in the museum at Fort Knox and I'm not sure they do trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    If I remember right (and its been awhile so I might not) that pistol in in the museum at Fort Knox and I'm not sure they do trades.
    I was hoping he had a "spare". Also.......everything is for sale for a price.

I actually have a Patton .357. It was my Great Uncle's duty gun who is a distant cousin to the more famous Patton.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List