Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Seized gun check in

Site Supporter
    The PD which is responsible for my work locations took in a Colt 1903.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    When you catch a guy with an unregistered SBR/S, is he charged with a state crime or do you guys hand him over to the ATF?
    My Canadian was a previously deported felon and his state SBS / suppressor warrants originated out of a different judicial district so we prosecuted him for illegal re-entry and illegal alien in possession of a firearm . The ATF in central CA the. adopted his state SBS / suppessor case. Since he had the SBS and suppressor in the same duffel bag as the meth they also hit him with an armed drug trafficking enhancement which was a 15 year mandatory minimum at the time.

Last few guns we've had have been a gen 3 Glock 19 with 33 round mag (stolen locally), a hi point 9mm and an old Savage 22 bolt action. The guy with the .22 was an illegal alien wanted for alien smuggling but it was in his house, not on his person so we had the local SO seize it. Funny thing is his wife, also an illegal alien kept calling the SO demanding the gun back.

Hopefully this will be interpreted as relative and not an attempt to derail the "seized" aspect of the OP:

I did a stint in a training assignment one time that had evidence custody and disposition attached to it as part of the duties. We routinely put the torch to just about every collectible firearm you could imagine. Many were recovered as being directly related to certain crimes and some were just incidental seizures to other criminal activity.

I particularly remember getting a bit teary-eyed over the destruction of guns like original Colt 1911A1's, 4 and 5-screw Smith & Wesson's, P-38's, Walthers, Fox and Ithaca double-barrels, and Winchester rim-fire rifles made in the 30's, 40's and 50's.

As a gun person, there were no words to describe the practice other than it was just sinful.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I work at a LGS that routinely gets confiscated guns from in state agencies. Latest batch had everything from a Model 61 Winchester to 20ish RGs/Lorcins. We are seeing more high end handguns though, with the vast majority of this latest trade-in being reasonably decent handguns.

As far as gun thefts, it's a rare month when someone does not call in with a request that we try to figure out their stolen firearm's serial number. I'm under the impression that most are stolen from vehicles...

Site Supporter
    A lot to be learned from this thread I think. Just a thought, but perhaps the idea of a "truck gun" in an urbanized area is more derp than not? I'm guilty of the practice myself, but perhaps it would be wise to reconsider after looking at this...

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    A lot to be learned from this thread I think. Just a thought, but perhaps the idea of a "truck gun" in an urbanized area is more derp than not? I'm guilty of the practice myself, but perhaps it would be wise to reconsider after looking at this...
    I've done the truck gun thing occasionally in years past, but no more. Irrespective of just losing a gun, I don't relish the idea of facing a crook that might not have even been armed till he got MY gun. In my area of the world, it's probably the #1 method criminals gain possession of guns. Many of these thefts from cars go unreported, too.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I've done the truck gun thing occasionally in years past, but no more. Irrespective of just losing a gun, I don't relish the idea of facing a crook that might not have even been armed till he got MY gun. In my area of the world, it's probably the #1 method criminals gain possession of guns. Many of these thefts from cars go unreported, too.
    Couldn't agree more. Even living in much "better" areas of the country, I can't really condone a truck gun. At least as of today, a concealed handgun is still the best option. When that changes, my rifle will be with me, not left in the truck.

We also have a nickel 586. It was confiscated in the early 90s when a local guy entered one of the frat houses to confront some of the residents for reasons I don't recall. The frat boys thrashed him and took the gun from him. When being booked he actually asked if he could file charges on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year we also took in a full auto Uzi after a D/V incident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I understand the arguments, but I'd it's not well secured I think you're more likely to arm a thug then use it yourself.

User Tag List