Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Seized gun check in

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    They're starting to set trials again in my jurisdiction, and everything paused the last 5 months is suddenly urgent.

It has been awful the last two weeks and it's going to get so much worse.
    Same. And no one wants a trial... Plea everything... So basically, business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Ever since Covid kicked off, almost every arrest we’ve had has resulted in “release them for now and we’ll indict later” when calling the AUSA. Everything from multiple pounds of meth to felons in possession of firearms. No one seems to even want to hear about dope below A level at all in this district.
    We’ve still been wearing it out. We’ve only had one GJ since February, but we’ve done a ton of complaints. We’ve got to do a prelim since we can’t go to a GJ in the allotted timeframe, but other than that, it’s business as usual at our USAO.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    They're starting to set trials again in my jurisdiction, and everything paused the last 5 months is suddenly urgent.

It has been awful the last two weeks and it's going to get so much worse.
    Ditto. Our court is trying to stack up jury trials according to speedy trial needs, but even then they’re not slated to start until the third week of September. Couple that with the usual December holiday slowdown and I think this year is basically a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Sounds legit, I imagine the courts will magically shit docket space to handle the overflow of back logged stuff on top of the normal load coming in a year or two from now.
    Definitely. I’m sure they’ll hire many new AUSAs for the additional cases in order to keep the system moving efficiently. Or, just maybe, they’ll decide not to indict some of those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    We’ve still been wearing it out. We’ve only had one GJ since February, but we’ve done a ton of complaints. We’ve got to do a prelim since we can’t go to a GJ in the allotted timeframe, but other than that, it’s business as usual at our USAO.
    I still don’t understand why preliminary hearings exist. If you swore out a complaint, that means a Magistrate Judge believed you had PC for this charge already. Otherwise you wouldn’t have gotten your complaint signed.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I still don’t understand why preliminary hearings exist. If you swore out a complaint, that means a Magistrate Judge believed you had PC for this charge already. Otherwise you wouldn’t have gotten your complaint signed.
    I thought it was intended as a golden opportunity for the defense to pretend that it’s a trial and ask a million questions which have nothing to do with the PC for the arrest...?

Preliminary hearing story:

I was on the stand, and the defense attorney (a very nice lady and a former AUSA) was trying to paint her cartel-employed client as a bumbling idiot who hadn’t known what he was getting himself into.

Defense: “Special Agent Le Francais, did my client tell you that he had asked for payment up front for this job?”

Me: “Yes.”

Defense: “Isn’t it extremely unusual for these organizations to pay up front, and doesn’t that show that my client doesn’t understand how any of this works”?

Me: “Perhaps your client’s request to be paid up front was motivated by optimism rather than ignorance.”

Spanish interpreter: “HAHA!”

Judge: (not amused)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Of course it is not a Houston call out without a nickel Taurus and plastic pearl grips.

Attachment 58571
    The low rent version of .38 Super 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Sounds legit, I imagine the courts will magically shit docket space
    Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Between trying to dodge the Rona and not ending up on Instagram or Youtube, we haven't really been proactive since early March. My squad is pretty much running warrants and mainly looking for female fugitives since they're generally easier to find and less likely to act a fool when the cuffs go on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Preliminary hearing story:

I was on the stand, and the defense attorney (a very nice lady and a former AUSA) was trying to paint her cartel-employed client as a bumbling idiot who hadn’t known what he was getting himself into.

Defense: “Special Agent Le Francais, did my client tell you that he had asked for payment up front for this job?”

Me: “Yes.”

Defense: “Isn’t it extremely unusual for these organizations to pay up front, and doesn’t that show that my client doesn’t understand how any of this works”?

Me: “Perhaps your client’s request to be paid up front was motivated by optimism rather than ignorance.”

Spanish interpreter: “HAHA!”

Judge: (not amused)
    I’ll just add that though perhaps not amused, the judge found that there was PC and—if memory serves—that the defendant was a flight risk and would be held pre-trial.

Some of the nicer guns that have been seized in my office:

HKMR556A1 that was brand new. Dude had the receipt where he purchased 4 hours before being arrested.
    FN M16A2 that had been diverted off a shipment of DOD weapons that were supposed to be shipped to one of our allies.
    S&W 32-20 M&P Hand Ejector with a box of ammunition off a mid-level crack dealer. That gun was pristine and the FFL dealer who bought it put it in his personal collection.
    S&W 686 CS1 that a guy tried shooting his neighbor’s propane tank with. He thought if he could get her near the propane tank he could shoot the tank and it would blow up and kill her and destroy the evidence in the explosion.
    Several different Colt 1911s. Some Gold Cups and a few Commanders.
    Ruger Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks and some GP100s.
    A few Polytech AK47s.
    A Gemtech .308 can. I don’t recall the model.
    A few different M1 Garands. The last one was a Blue Sky import, but the others were mostly Springfields.
    A Sabre Defence XR15 with factory Tiger Stripe stock.
    A Beretta 92 that was a former Indianapolis PD gun converted to DAO.
    A FN 5.7 Pistol NIB with 3 extra magazines and ammunition.

These are the ones that came to mind right away.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KPD View Post
    Some of the nicer guns that have been seized in my office:

HKMR556A1 that was brand new. Dude had the receipt where he purchased 4 hours before being arrested.
    FN M16A2 that had been diverted off a shipment of DOD weapons that were supposed to be shipped to one of our allies.
    S&W 32-20 M&P Hand Ejector with a box of ammunition off a mid-level crack dealer. That gun was pristine and the FFL dealer who bought it put it in his personal collection.
    S&W 686 CS1 that a guy tried shooting his neighbor’s propane tank with. He thought if he could get her near the propane tank he could shoot the tank and it would blow up and kill her and destroy the evidence in the explosion.
    Several different Colt 1911s. Some Gold Cups and a few Commanders.
    Ruger Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks and some GP100s.
    A few Polytech AK47s.
    A Gemtech .308 can. I don’t recall the model.
    A few different M1 Garands. The last one was a Blue Sky import, but the others were mostly Springfields.
    A Sabre Defence XR15 with factory Tiger Stripe stock.
    A Beretta 92 that was a former Indianapolis PD gun converted to DAO.
    A FN 5.7 Pistol NIB with 3 extra magazines and ammunition.

These are the ones that came to mind right away.
    Do they sell them off?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List