Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Seized gun check in

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Wish I still had the pix....lets see

Last 12 month's so far, recovered a g23, a g22, two g19s, three .25 autos and a .38spl.

Last few years mostly been 9mm rugers and Taurus pistols. Once in a while we find some sort of sbr or sbs, took a pump off a guy few years ago that was cut down illegally. In 09 dude had a double barrel he cut down to about 16 inches in length used in a robbery then discharged birdshot at me from about 50y.

Rarely seen glocks before last few years, huge increase from last two years though, mostly stolen out of GA, SC, NC.

Also bunches of .22lr revolvers and .25acp semi's, but figured they have to be running out of them.

Earlier in the year got a glocks in 357sig. That was cool, used in a homicide.
    When you catch a guy with an unregistered SBR/S, is he charged with a state crime or do you guys hand him over to the ATF?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    When you catch a guy with an unregistered SBR/S, is he charged with a state crime or do you guys hand him over to the ATF?
    In the cut down pump I called the atf and they charged him, never saw a day of court for that, big surprise.

For the double barrel, he was charged locally with the state codes (vufa, etc) as well as agg. Assault on police, etc. Since he committed further acts other than possession.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Interesting. Thanks!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Here is a more common example of a “street gat.”
    Pot metal classic - Imperial Metal Products model 7 .22 short revolver.

Attachment 3489

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    ...Rarely seen glocks before last few years, huge increase from last two years though, mostly stolen out of GA, SC, NC.

Earlier in the year got a glocks in 357sig...
    I interviewed a parole who is confirmed Black Guerrilla Family out of Atlanta. He told me the young G’s are being taught to target vehicles with “pig stamps” to break in looking for weapons. Followed up on the term “pig stamps” and determined he was talking about the blue line stickers and plates. Something to think about for sure.

May be one reason why we are seeing more quality service type weapons on the street.

I see two distinct and different approaches. The younger "Boyz" are the ones being arrested carrying a Hi- Point in 9mm or 45. The older ones (22-25 years old plus) are looking for better things. We are on a new push to reduce violence in my city. The District Commander where I work thinks a cork board where officers place pictures of confiscated weapons will motivate them (Of course, going 6 years without a pay raise, only to get 1.5% spread over 3 years tends to put a damper on them). I saw a confiscated Sig 320 9mm before I held one in a gun store. A couple of days ago, there was a HK p2000sk 9mm. Locks are the favorite of the experienced players. Although I am starting to see some M&P's.

Long guns like AR's and AK's are being taken more and more often.

In my city, the guns get crushed. One of my friends and a fellow Sergeant who is assigned to the unit who has to take the weapons and drugs to be destroyed tried to get approval to have a Judge release confiscated AR's to the Department. He wanted the guns to be checked by one of the armors, and if serviceable, put into circulation with the rest of the agency pool guns. The concept never even made it to the Chief's desk as it got nixed along the way.

Lyons grid mentioned thugs being taught to target cars that have a higher odds of having a gun in the car. This is why I personally don't go for the "Trunk Gun" concept. I do keep a couple extra pistol magazines in the front drivers area.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Here is a more common example of a “street gat.”

Attachment 3489
    Not around here. True, your basic Rohm RG-10 (pot metal .22 revolver like the one pictured) was what we mainly saw for many years; but those days are long gone. We see as many Glocks, Stigmas, Rugers, and Tauri as we do HiPoints, Lorcins, Jimenez Arms (what used to be Jennings), Bryco Arms, etc. blowback junk. Yes, a lot of the "higher-end" (if you want to refer to a Stigma or a Tauri as higher-end) pieces are stolen, but many of them are legally purchased by babymommas and such- with clean records- along with the ammunition. Whatever ball is cheapest on the shelf is usually found in the magazines, but we're seeing more and more JHPs as well. Academy Sports is one of the favored sources here, BTW. And we can always tell when a certain rather nice LGS a bit south of here has their annual big S&W sale; we see an influx of Stigmas. Although, now that S&W has dropped the SW-VE (Stigma) line and replaced it with the more expensive SD-VE (Enhanced Stigma) line, we're not seeing as many of those.

I guess the most memorable seized piece that I have seen come though the lab (aside from the genuine 1910 Colt .45ACP; that was truly a sad day) was the gold-plated AK, with a gold-plated bicycle chain for a sling.

I would love to be able to share some photos of the stuff we see, which can be pretty interesting... but the boss would have a stroke (and my ass).

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

I guess the most memorable seized piece that I have seen come though the lab (aside from the genuine 1910 Colt .45ACP; that was truly a sad day) was the gold-plated AK, with a gold-plated bicycle chain for a sling.

I would love to be able to share some photos of the stuff we see, which can be pretty interesting... but the boss would have a stroke (and my ass).

It's been many years since I wandered around in the lab gun room. But, I remember handling a Clark Sr long slide 1911 used in some ancient shooting. That was a true work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    It's been many years since I wandered around in the lab gun room. But, I remember handling a Clark Sr long slide 1911 used in some ancient shooting. That was a true work of art.
    That one is still in the reference collection. The "home made" suppressed Dixie Mafia Ruger MkII is pretty cool too. Lots of character and history back in that vault…

Just in the past year, we have taken AR's, AK, Saiga 12's, 92FS, Glocks, and more. All from gang members.

User Tag List