Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Seized gun check in

Is the gunbusters company getting much traction in LE agencies? It looks like they provide a machine to destroy a receiver, and tools and information on how to strip the guns to the frame and the parts (everything but the receiver) are sold to/through the company. They have a camera that documents the receiver being destroyed I think.

Not as good as saving an entire gun, but its letting quite a lot of parts make it to the market to keep older guns running.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    More like welded threads on the end of a barrel.
    I guess that makes at least as much sense. Either way, that's some nasty bubba work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Any chance of the owner getting it back?
    It was in the system as stolen so no reason the owner who reported it shouldn't get it back.

Speaking of serial numbers in the system, I recently had a case involving a Jimenez Arms pistol which we recovered off an illegal alien felon. It was not in the system as stolen because when it was stolen the owners showed responding officers the box for the gun. The Officers then entered the SKU number from the bar code on the end of the box instead of the serial number which was listed right next to the SKU. Suspect had stolen the gun while staying with the owners and subsequently used the gun to shoot up their house.

I assisted with another case where a felon was previously arrested with a S&W Body Guard .380 in his car which he denied owning. He bonded out and absconded. While executing a search warrant on his residence after we arrested him, we found the box for Bodyguard in the suspect's room. Had to explain that the serial number of the previously seized gun was on the box three times to get the case agent to seize it. Also found a game warden citation for road hunting from an adjoining county. Apparently said felon was out jack lighting deer with his step brother's AR-15, got caught and gave a story about being on leave from the USMC in CA. They seized the AR, and cited him but never ran him or discovered he was a felon dishonorably discharged several years prior. A few weeks later they gave the suspect back the AR after he paid the fine, again without running him.

No pictures unfortunately. I often get called when officers recover a firearm that they don't know how to safely clear. About two years ago, one of our fugitive task forces recovered a few firearms off of a search warrant. One of which they didn't know how to clear. the gun that stumped them was a 1973 Springfield Trapdoor carbine. It was not a reproduction...

It was not in NCIC as stolen, so it was eventually destroyed.

Recently:
    HK MR556 that was NIB with all of the tools. Also had the receipt where the BG had purchased the rifle from a gun shop less than 8 hours before meeting us.
    Factory nickel 3” S&W model 10
    Lots of Glocks
    Tikka T3 .308
    Ruger M77 7mm 08
    Norinco MAK90
    Saiga 12
    Saiga .308
    M&P15T
    Ruger GP100
    Ruger SP101
    Ruger LCRs in .38 and .357
    S&W model 53
    Kimber TLE

I know this is supposed to be about guns, but I see tons of really nice knives. I have recovered two Yarborough knives. One had the serial number completely ground off. The other did not and I was able to get it returned to the rightful owner thanks to help from the JFK Special Warfare Museum at Ft Bragg.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KPD View Post
    Recently:
    HK MR556 that was NIB with all of the tools. Also had the receipt where the BG had purchased the rifle from a gun shop less than 8 hours before meeting us.
    Factory nickel 3” S&W model 10
    Lots of Glocks
    Tikka T3 .308
    Ruger M77 7mm 08
    Norinco MAK90
    Saiga 12
    Saiga .308
    M&P15T
    Ruger GP100
    Ruger SP101
    Ruger LCRs in .38 and .357
    S&W model 53
    Kimber TLE

I know this is supposed to be about guns, but I see tons of really nice knives. I have recovered two Yarborough knives. One had the serial number completely ground off. The other did not and I was able to get it returned to the rightful owner thanks to help from the JFK Special Warfare Museum at Ft Bragg.
    I would love a nickel 3” M10...

Site Supporter
    A good friend that is Abq PD detained a meth head last year for residential B&E.

Meth head was packing a CZ52 pistol in 7.62x25. My friend sent me a picture because he had no idea what it was and wanted a PID. It was in surprisingly good shape and it was full of PPU JHP's.

The numbers weren't in NCIC of course, so it was destroyed. Between the ammo and condition we figured it must have been some dudes 'car gun' that was stolen and never reported.

HK USP with a Surefire x400. Probably the most interesting gun recovered from a BG. Also got a 10" AR pistol on a Spikes "snowflake" lower. Guy had it tucked by his center console in the car. Had a Vortex RDS and a Streamlight on the rail. The HK was stolen, I got to return it to the owner. The Spikes was not, and still collects dust in the evidence room safe.

Site Supporter
    Recently recovered a Remington 760 Gamemaster 30-06 with an old 4x and a Steven’s 22 bolt gun in a joint case with local PD. The Stevens did not appear to have a serial number. While at property saw a nice Gen 4 G21 with HD sights and an X300U. Worker at a local tweekers motel found it and called his neighbor who is PD. Gun was in the system as stolen. Someone will be happy to get that one back.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Someone will be happy to get that one back.
    In my case, the owner was pretty embarrassed when he picked up the HK. Something about leaving almost $1400 in pistol unlocked/unsecured in his car...

User Tag List