Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Seized gun check in

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I think they are the same. I work where all DHS seized weapons are processed for destruction.
    Dammit man, talk your bosses into putting some of this bling on GunBroker. I can't be the only gringo who wants a gold 1911.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Coming soon to the CMP!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    It looked to me like both of those B92s had M9 markings. Are those US civilian versions, or stolen USGI guns?
    They look like commercials. Besides,no cartel sicario would be stupid enough to use worn out DoD rattletrap guns.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The M9’s commercial. The plating is so thick you I’m not sure the guns would even function properly. The double action on the Beretta must be close to 30lbs.

A Sig X5 came in the other day.

Site Supporter
    Bumping this as a reminder to keep a record of your gun's serial numbers, ideally including photos of the serial number.

We recently arrested an illegal alien from Jamaica who was wanted for aggravated robbery and other crimes including a drive by shooting. One of the two handguns he had on him when arrested was stolen but did not come back as such in the system.

During follow ups, we learned he had stolen a handgun of the exact same make/model/caliber as one of the recovered guns from a victim who he had been staying with. The victim had reported the gun stolen but when they showed the reporting officer the factory box he entered the manufacturer's bar code sku number from the label rather the actual serial number.

Digital photos in the cloud would be a good way to avoid such issues. Typo's are common enough that when we put personally owned handguns into service for duty use we must submit a photo of the serial number with the paperwork to ensure the serial number is put in our system correctly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Bumping this as a reminder to keep a record of your gun's serial numbers, ideally including photos of the serial number.

We recently arrested an illegal alien from Jamaica who was wanted for aggravated robbery and other crimes including a drive by shooting. One of the two handguns he had on him when arrested was stolen but did not come back as such in the system.

During follow ups, we learned he had stolen a handgun of the exact same make/model/caliber as one of the recovered guns from a victim who he had been staying with. The victim had reported the gun stolen but when they showed the reporting officer the factory box he entered the manufacturer's bar code sku number from the label rather the actual serial number.

Digital photos in the cloud would be a good way to avoid such issues. Typo's are common enough that when we put personally owned handguns into service for duty use we must submit a photo of the serial number with the paperwork to ensure the serial number is put in our system correctly.
    Not LE, but I've got photos in the cloud and a database with S/Ns, photos, acessories, and descriptions for all guns. Typos definitely happen. When I was in FL, there was an acquaintance on a local board that said he almost got in trouble because when a LEO ran the S/N during the stop he ran the model number (SW9VE) instead of the actual serial number and said popped up as stolen in the Florida system.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    Not LE, but I've got photos in the cloud and a database with S/Ns, photos, acessories, and descriptions for all guns. Typos definitely happen. When I was in FL, there was an acquaintance on a local board that said he almost got in trouble because when a LEO ran the S/N during the stop he ran the model number (SW9VE) instead of the actual serial number and said popped up as stolen in the Florida system.
    ATF actually puts out some pretty good information about firearms identification, for all the good it does. Doesn't help when guns have SNs on the barrel or slide that don't match the frame, or the importer plastering their name over the gun in eight different places while making the actual manufacturer's name so small you need a magnifying glass to see it COUGH SPRINGFIELD COUGH, making the manufacturing location larger than the model name, etc etc.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Guy walked in with a Dreyse M1907, very good condition. Had the original holster and mag with it although both of those had been terrorized. He refused to sell it and wanted it destroyed. Talk about saddening, the gun hasn't been produced since 1915 according to Wiki.

I had almost forgotten about this thread.

Attachment 21330
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List