Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Seized gun check in

Doing some evidence room cleanup, this was entered into property back in ‘97. Any idea what it is? It’s a .22, the only marking are “8” stamped in front of the magwell and “F.O. Stokkes” crudely engraved into the frame when disassembled (owner’s marking?). The barrel is chewed up where the roll-mark likely was. The nub on the beavertail area is a safety.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Doing some evidence room cleanup, this was entered into property back in ‘97. Any idea what it is? It’s a .22, the only marking are “8” stamped in front of the magwell and “F.O. Stokkes” crudely engraved into the frame when disassembled (owner’s marking?). The barrel is chewed up where the roll-mark likely was. The nub on the beavertail area is a safety.

A quick Google search came up with this US patent:
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US1365743

1,365,748. Patented Jan.18,1921 by FRED O. STOKKE, of HAVRE, MONTANA

It appears to be a prototype of a semi auto pistol with some sort of drop safety.
    This probably is a one of a kind experiment that slipped into the footnotes of history.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Site Supporter

While maybe not valuable, that’s very interesting and maybe even a prototype.

I found a patent for a Stokke pistol here, note in the drawing a similar “guppy belly” that extends behind the pistol grip.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US1365743

Eta: image Name:  67C9CEC9-48EB-4B4C-99D4-AF7D5D3B5BDC.jpeg
Views: 900
Size:  93.9 KB

Off to see what else I can find.

@UpDok obviously beat me to the punch on this one
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 08-12-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Ha! That’s what I get for using Duck Duck Go!

That’s very interesting. Thank you.

I recently got to handle (but not shoot ) a fully functioning Canadian Sten MkII in nice condition that had been in the collection of one of our local drug dealers. Probably the most interesting thing that's passed through our office in a while.

Site Supporter
    Ha! That’s what I get for using Duck Duck Go!

That’s very interesting. Thank you.
    Would it be possible for y’all by law to transfer that to a museum somewhere? I hate to see an interesting prototype from a small time inventor being stuck away in an evidence locker like. That’s some cool American history and I bet somewhere like the Cody Firearms museum would love to have it.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Would it be possible for y’all by law to transfer that to a museum somewhere? I hate to see an interesting prototype from a small time inventor being stuck away in an evidence locker like. That’s some cool American history and I bet somewhere like the Cody Firearms museum would love to have it.
    NRA museum.

The Smithsonian has a firearms collection as well though they keep it on the down low.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I don’t see why not. I’ll reach out to them or NRA and work my magic with the bosses.

Worst case scenario: we typically sell abandoned firearms to a local distributor that get flipped to the used market. The money we get is used to purchase duty weapons for the department- Glock 17s and 6933s during our last trade. I don’t think we’ve ever destroyed firearms.

I’ll update here when I have news.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Do they sell them off?
    Yes, but only to FFL holders. We sell them off in large lots in an auction format. Whatever business wins the auction we leave the money on account with them and use it to get duty equipment, guns and ammunition from that business.

I don’t see why not. I’ll reach out to them or NRA and work my magic with the bosses.
    Good for you!
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List