Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1-4 and 1-6 optics discussion

Depends on what your gonna do with it. Leave them alone and maybe a hold over here and there or lots of long range were you want to dial elevation and/or wind. You need to go to snipershide.com and just start reading and I think you'd learn a whole lot.

Site Supporter
    I would be concerned about first or second focal plane as well.

If you plan on using the reticle, or heck in general.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I would be concerned about first or second focal plane as well.

If you plan on using the reticle, or heck in general.
    Which is preferred?

I tried 1-6X optics, and found them to perform poorly at short range. THe images were blurry and so was the reticle. Or it was crisp, and then on 6X it was blurry. No compromise. Diopter shift is a bitch. I ditched them and went with a T2 and a G33 magnifier. I would, however, like to test some of the 1-4X optics as I think they may shift a lot less.1-6 is just such a HUGE range that diopter shift is almost a given with mag changes to either end of the spectrum. I am still holding out for someone to make a 1-4X that is light (15-17oz) and has a generous eyebox (like Kahles) and daylight bright illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I tried 1-6X optics, and found them to perform poorly at short range. THe images were blurry and so was the reticle. Or it was crisp, and then on 6X it was blurry. No compromise. Diopter shift is a bitch. I ditched them and went with a T2 and a G33 magnifier. I would, however, like to test some of the 1-4X optics as I think they may shift a lot less.1-6 is just such a HUGE range that diopter shift is almost a given with mag changes to either end of the spectrum. I am still holding out for someone to make a 1-4X that is light (15-17oz) and has a generous eyebox (like Kahles) and daylight bright illumination.
    I'm curious to know which scopes you tried. I have never seen this before. Did you adjust the focus on the ocular before anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'm curious to know which scopes you tried. I have never seen this before. Did you adjust the focus on the ocular before anything else?
    I tried the VCOG. I also handled the Z6i and K16i. I wasn't paying much attention when I handled the K16i and Z6i to "across the room" distances, so I won't speak to that. I owned a VCOG, though. You had 2 choices: It could be perfectly in focus at 1X in your home, or it could be in focus at 200 yards. Not both. You had to dial in the diopter any time you adjusted magnification. I hated it and sold it without ever mounting it on my rifle. I took a $300 hit on that deal, and someone not as picky as I got a beautiful brand new VCOG, and I learned NOT to trust the internet, even if the people I listened to were SME's. Their eyes are not mine (20/10 with no appreciable astigmatism, as a datapoint). Optics are VERY personal.

My G33 magnifier is the same, FWIW, too. I can dial the dot in crisp across the livingroom (why?), or at distance. But not both. So I just swing the mag 100% out of the way for up close (of course), and have the diopter set for 25 yards and out.

One other person on another forum who bought a K16i has noted that they have the same issue with the K16i as I did with the VCOG. I don't think you can GET a better 1-6 than a Kahles. I am curious if 1-4's do it, too, or if it's a 1-6x thing due to the massive "Spread" in magnification.

All I know is the T2/G33 is much less annoying.

ETA: I adjusted diopter all SORTS of ways. At 1X looking at the blue sky, at a blank wall, etc. At 6x doing the same, at an item across the room, at an item across the street, always careful to make small adjustments while looking away so that accommodation did not occur. No dice.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 06-11-2015 at 07:44 AM.

Am I the only person in the world who wants a lighter optic, instead of going heavier with more and more mag? 4x wasn't enough...so they went to 6x. 6x isn't enough, so now we're at 8x. It seems to me like we're going down a vicious path.

My idea of perfect isn't a 2lbs optic with lots of mag. 1-4 is fine....and the max weight with mount should be 12-14oz.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I've extensively used a ACOG 3x and a Meopta 1-4×. The variables are nice but I always find myself at min or max, so my next purchase is going to be the Elcan for the binary 1.5 or 6x. I'm hoping that will solve some of the diopter focus issues and work better with my astigmatism.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Am I the only person in the world who wants a lighter optic, instead of going heavier with more and more mag? 4x wasn't enough...so they went to 6x. 6x isn't enough, so now we're at 8x. It seems to me like we're going down a vicious path.

My idea of perfect isn't a 2lbs optic with lots of mag. 1-4 is fine....and the max weight with mount should be 12-14oz.
    Maybe the good ol tr24 is for you?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I've extensively used a ACOG 3x and a Meopta 1-4×. The variables are nice but I always find myself at min or max, so my next purchase is going to be the Elcan for the binary 1.5 or 6x. I'm hoping that will solve some of the diopter focus issues and work better with my astigmatism.
    How much is that gonna run you?

User Tag List