Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1-4 and 1-6 optics discussion

Very happy with my Vortex Razor HD 1-6x. I got mine when it first came out with the JM BDC reticle. If I was looking for one now I would get it with the newer MOA or MRAD reticle. Im gonna send mine in to get the JM1 BDC swapped out to the MOA reticle.

They can be found for around $1200.00-$1400.00 on Ebay and legit dealers.

On downside in my opinion is the weight.

The new Trijicon Accupoint 1-6x with either the MOA or MIL reticle looks very legit.

ok so this is a good point to ask. BDC, MOA, or mil dot reticle... If I am missing something like the night force nxs's reticle please let me know

also if someone could explain the advatange/disadvatage of bdc, moa, mil it would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The newer VX-6 Multigun comes with the CMR2 reticle.
    They listened!
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    ok so this is a good point to ask. BDC, MOA, or mil dot reticle... If I am missing something like the night force nxs's reticle please let me know

also if someone could explain the advatange/disadvatage of bdc, moa, mil it would be appreciated.
    Depends on again what you are doing...

Mil-dot is my go to, math is easy and it works for most rounds.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Depends on again what you are doing...

Mil-dot is my go to, math is easy and it works for most rounds.

shooting unknown distance targets out to 600 if possible

shooting unknown distance targets out to 600 if possible
    Again, depends on reticle and round. I know the USO's I have used (SR8c and SR4c) the mil-dot works fine for those distances. Of course other optics have similar reticles that will allow you to do so. If you are shooting at people/animals finding a reticle that allows you to guess range based on general size of an animal or person may be something you should look into - like the swfa SS 1-4x I reviewed. It has ranging measures built into the reticle.
    VDMSR.com

Unless you are in your point blank range, you have to know the distance for any of them to work properly. Some reticles help you with that, but it is an estimate nonetheless. BDC's are only useful for a particular load and 1 set of environmental conditions. They may work ok for other loads and conditions, but that is dependent on your target size. Between moa and mil, there is no functional difference. As long as your turrets match your reticle, you are good to go. I prefer mil/mil setups, but I also use moa and have no issue switching around. With either, you will need to know the distance and then dial or hold for that distance. Much more precise than any BDC, sometimes not as fast though I find them to be very fast when you are used to them and understand when to dial vs. hold.

Actual mil dot reticles are obsolete today. A proper mil hash reticle like the NF MIL-R is the way to go. Most companies have their own version. Some are better than others.

None of them will read the wind for you.

I also prefer mil/mil because I like my turrets to match the reticle, and if you do need to adjust the knobs, there is less clicking.

Benchrest shooters like MOA because the clicks are finer...1/8 MOA click at 100 is basically .125" while 1/10th mil clicks are .360" at the same distance.

You can get a scope with a BDC reticle and use the dials but a scope with a finely hashed reticle will give you more options. You not only can use it to quickly compensate without using knobs to adjust your windage or elevation, you can also use it to measure how far off that you are when you miss your target.

Don't forget about first and second focal plane when you picking out a scope. Most scopes are SFP but you have to compensate for the reticle staying the same size even though your zoom is changing.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I like my Leupold mk6 with the CMR-W reticle. They also have a TMR reticle that's very nice. The scope works very well as a true 1x with daylight visible red dot.

Here's a useful review page on 1-x scopes:
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/42...ew_thread.html
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

So does that mean getting something with capped turrets like the accupoint or accupower is a bad idea?

User Tag List