Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: 1-4 and 1-6 optics discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    When it comes to optics, all of it is a compromise when talking about guns that are not built for a specific purpose. The more you want a gun to do, the harder it is to get the performance you want. As long as we're talking quality optics, you have to decide what compromises will work for you, and if you can get the performance out of your choice. For me, the 2.5-10, with a MRDS back up works well for most of what I want to do.
    I went back and reviewed the SPR CQB thread and you made some similar comments that resonated with me. CQB is quite possibly the last priority (based on historical use) for my GP carbine, so maybe I'm not finding the 1-6 I want because what I need isn't actually a 1-6.

ETA: Removed questions not germane to 1-4/1-6 thread topic. I'll take them over the above mentioned SPR thread.
    Last edited by StraitR; 04-30-2016 at 03:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I went back and reviewed the SPR CQB thread and you made some similar comments that resonated with me. CQB is quite possibly the last priority (based on historical use) for my GP carbine, so maybe I'm not finding the 1-6 I want because what I need isn't actually a 1-6.
    I think you are onto something - I noticed you mentioned uncapped turrets. Dialing dope on anything less than a 10x doesn't make sense to me.

I have a NF 2.5-10 X 32, I think it may be more what you are looking for.

1-4 and 1-6 optics discussion

For movers, even at 4-6x, I've had good results dialing elevation and holding leads/wind. (This is also one of the reasons I like FFP.) Having the option to dial is a good thing IMO.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-30-2016 at 04:26 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Bumping an old thread (I did read all 29 pages before doing so).
    I ordered a PredatOBR 7.62 and am using the lead time to decide on an 1-6x optic.

I am curious to hear of any more experiences with the VCOG, and if anybody has a comparison between that and the Leupold Mk.6.
    I'm not heading into combat but I want something "combat suitable", i.e. good optical quality/performance and rugged. Price is not terribly important.

Thank you!
    Last edited by CompressionIgnition; 05-12-2017 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CompressionIgnition View Post
    Bumping an old thread (I did read all 29 pages before doing so).
    I ordered a PredatOBR 7.62 and am using the lead time to decide on an 1-6x optic.

I am curious to hear of any more experiences with the VCOG, and if anybody has a comparison between that and the Leupold Mk.6.
    I'm not heading into combat but I want something "combat suitable", i.e. good optical quality/performance and rugged. Price is not terribly important.

Thank you!
    Optically, the MK6 slaughtered my VCOG when it came to seeing double images on 1x with the VCOG...

Noone who I take serious runs a VCOG, except Pat Rogers, and it was a T&E thing for him.

I have used the Mk6, Mk8 and Vortex Razor II both professionally and personally. Currently my go to rifles have either Mk8 or a Razor sitting on them.

All these optics offer excellent glass quality, rugged/durable reliability (even in heavy/hard use) and each has their own niche.

Individuals need to determine their priorities (PIDing + engaging targets at intermediate to long ranges, relatively close quarters engagements where you may find yourself in a spot needing to see further) etc. Once someone identifies what they need, optic choice becomes substantially easier.

The Mk8 is an 8x optic, that in extremis, can get cranked down to 1x. Ive had no issue doing interior work with a Mk8, however the leg work, to get to the proficiency where I was comfortable with it inside, was much greater than a red dot. There is definitely a learning curve associated with using such an optic in that manner. The Mk8 shines when you need to start rapidly engaging targets at 200ish + meters. The H27D reticle makes it an outstanding choice for being able to easily engage targets out to 700m. I currently have Mk8 on 14.5" 5.56 and 16" 7.62 guns.

The Razor is a 1x optic, that can get cranked up to 6x. The eye box (I think that's the right term) is super forgiving allowing for crappy cheek weld. The illumination is more than adequate for even brightest day/bad contrast target ive seen so far. The SFP reticle without illumination is more than big enough to pick up. I use the MRAD version of the reticle, so when I do 6x, I now know my holds in mils. My main complaint is the cross hairs are a little too thick. It hasn't stopped me yet from making hits. But sometimes requires some more extrapolation of your sight picture. I currently use Razors on my 10" guns.

The mk6 1-6 fell out of favor because the Razor does 1x better and the mk8 does 8x better. Plus its reticle choices are sub par to me in today world, even if you set it up to do a poor mans horus.

Ive never really cared about the weight so....

One thing I would say is make sure to get clear flip up lenses covers. Sight pictures in variable power optics are easily fouled by water/rain/dust/dirt etc. And you cant usually just wipe it off. Clear flip up lense covers allow you to still engage in a pinch, or rapidly get them out of the way if need. A quality lense pen is also a must.
    Last edited by vmi-mo; 05-13-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    "When the hour of crisis comes, remember that 40 selected men can shake the world." -- Yasotay

It's happening: http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nx8/nx8-1-8x24-f1

17 oz. for a durable 1-8x seems pretty wild. Very excited to see real world performance.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 12-14-2017 at 06:40 PM.

The reticle looks pretty good too. This should be a killer scope. I’m expecting it to be priced accordingly though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    It's happening: http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nx8/nx8-1-8x24-f1

17 oz. for a durable 1-8x seems pretty wild. Very excited to see real world performance.
    That looks like an excellent option, hopefully under $2K. I am excited as well!
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but why announce a new product and not announce the price?
    Because Nightforce.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List