Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "The List" (147 HST vs 147+P HST)

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

There is NO advantage to 147 +P HST.
    Does it perform as well as the standard pressure variant, other then increased recoil? Also, how does it stack up to P9HST3 (which is on the list as well)? I ask because those of us who are not LE often have a hard time finding decent carry ammo for a good price. For whatever reason, P9HST2 is unobtanium right now while P9HST4 can be had on several sites. Like I said above, a more comprehensive list, that includes all loads you've tested that meet your criteria, not just the best ones would be awesome. Not sure if you have that readily availiable or you would be willing to post that, but I, and I suspect others would find it very helpful. Many times, "list approved" loads are simply unavailable or are only availiable in the 20rnd boxes for twice as much, and it would help to have a few more options.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    HST have been very low flash in our use, just like the Gold Dot's--both of which use similar high quality propellants. Golden Saber is generally the worst flash we have seen from major manufacturers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 mm 147 gr +P HST (P9HST4) at 1069 fps:
    BG: Pen = 14.4, RD = 0.64, RL = 0.41, RW = 147.5
    4LD: Pen = 16.3, RD = 0.59, RL = 0.43, RW = 147.8

9 mm Fed 147 gr HST (P9HST2) at 1005 fps:
    BG: Pen = 14.0, RD = 0.65, RL = 0.41, RW = 147.6
    4LD: Pen = 16.5, RD = 0.60, RL = 0.53, RW = 147.5

147 +P to left of dime/standard pressure to right of dime

There is NO advantage to 147 +P HST.

Doc,

We recently acquired some standard pressure 147gr, and 147gr+P HSTs. Chrono results were in the mid 900fps from a Sig P226 with the standard pressure loads, and in the high 900s with the +Ps. Lots of unburned flake powder, and higher flash than Winchester Ranger Bonded. They have been very disappointing.

I may have to see if I can get a video set up of the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    Doc,

We recently acquired some standard pressure 147gr, and 147gr+P HSTs. Chrono results were in the mid 900fps from a Sig P226 with the standard pressure loads, and in the high 900s with the +Ps. Lots of unburned flake powder, and higher flash than Winchester Ranger Bonded. They have been very disappointing.

I may have to see if I can get a video set up of the results.
    I find that interesting based on the fact that, in my Beretta 92G, the Ranger Bonded and T Series leave unburned flakes of white powder in the barrel and action. Federal 147 HST +P and 124 HST standard pressure leave standard carbon. The same has held true for Winchester NATO versus Federal American Eagle. Of the 10 or 12 defensive loads I keep in personal inventory, Winchester is routinely the dirtiest.
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 07-27-2015 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Meant Flakes not Flecks

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I find that interesting based on the fact that, in my Beretta 92G, the Ranger Bonded and T Series leave unburned flakes of white powder in the barrel and action. Federal 147 HST +P and 124 HST standard pressure leave standard carbon. The same has held true for Winchester NATO versus Federal American Eagle. Of the 10 or 12 defensive loads I keep in personal inventory, Winchester is routinely the dirtiest.
    The general JHP, non bonded loads offered by both Winchester and Federal are cheaper in price compared to their bonded line which was essentially created to target more demanding Federal contracts. Low flash one of those criteria.....and I have never seen HSTs on any FLETC or other general DHS contract. The Winchester RTs have used cheaper powder over the years such as dirty spherical, or flashy flake. Several years ago I found some HST lots with spherical powder, although I think Federal tries to stick with flake. However, both Win and Fed's higher end bonded line use more expensive powders with VERY low flash.

Fire a standard pressure 147gr HST back to back with a standard pressure Win RB at night and you will see a night and day flash difference. I found HSTs to be much more disorienting during night shoots in comparison to the Federal Bonded or Win Bonded lines.

User Tag List