Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did finger off trigger/outside trigger guard become commonplace?

When did finger off trigger/outside trigger guard become commonplace?

When did instruction about keeping finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard become common place in the LE/MIL world?

I went through the police academy in the Metro Detroit area in 1993 and it was stressed then.

If I had to guess, it would have been right about when departments transitioned from revolvers to semi-autos...

In the late 1980s, and carrying revolvers, we were still taught "outside the trigger guard".
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Chuck has me beat by a couple / few years, but I was revolvers and tail end of the 80's and it was same for us.

I really think Jeff Cooper and his "Four Rules" is what got that ball rolling, so that would have been in the 1970s I assume.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Depends where. In the academy in 88 we were being taught finger on the trigger and point shooting to 7 yards. In 89 I went to LAPD SWAT to train with them on the firearms stuff.......needless to say, all Modern Technique and they were totally intolerant of fingers on triggers.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I think it was a mix. Cooper got it started, and his disciples spread the word. In the mid 80's the ODAs in 7th SFG(A) were taught Rule Three, but a lot of our instructors had been to Orange Gunsite.

Okie John

Cooper originally only had 3 rules. The position of the trigger finger was added to make it four rules. I am friends who are Gunsite historians and nobody has been able to pinpoint the year of the change.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Per Clint Smith (who painted the sign for Gunsite), Cooper started with one rule - "All guns are always loaded" They continued to add rules as folks kittened stuff up. I believe it only took weeks or shorter to add more rules.

Clint has mentioned this a few times in different classes I have been in.

Cookie Monster

If that's true, it's impressive that they were able to keep it to four rules. Rules have a tendency to multiply like Tribbles if you turn your back on 'em for a minute.

I feel like I read a commentary by Cooper once upon a time where he expressed a belief that only Rule One should really be necessary if the world worked as it ought to. Not sure if I'm remembering that or confabulating it, though.

"Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray.
    My legs are longer though, to run away."
    --Helena of Athens

User Tag List