Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS Refuses Jackson v. San Francisco. Undermining Heller

Site Supporter

SCOTUS Refuses Jackson v. San Francisco. Undermining Heller

SCOTUS Refuses to Hear Major Gun Rights Case, Clarence Thomas Files Sharp Dissent

The U.S. Supreme Court dealt Second Amendment supporters a major defeat today by refusing to hear an appeal filed by San Francisco gun owners seeking to overturn that city's requirement that all handguns kept at home and not carried on the owner’s person be "stored in a locked container or disabled with a trigger lock." Today’s action by the Court leaves that gun control ordinance on the books.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I wonder what changed their minds.....

/sarcasm.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The "guy" with the Mosin, what in the hell.

Way to go to those OC retards. Pro tip: you're doing it wrong. Having a rifle is stupid enough but I can't remember the last time I had my pistol at a low ready in public for a picture. I'm all for that leading to arrests.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I am no expert, but isn't it true that lawsuits that make it to the Supreme Court are rejected on other factors other than the merits? Couldn't that include issues, such as whether the issues in the lawsuit are directly related to the 2nd Amendment or may be related to jurisdiction and plaintiffs. I have heard that sometimes the Supreme Court doesn't think the appeal is the "right one" to take on a certain issue. I have heard of appeals being rejected because they simply do not have enough time in their docket.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I am no expert, but isn't it true that lawsuits that make it to the Supreme Court are rejected on other factors other than the merits? Couldn't that include issues, such as whether the issues in the lawsuit are directly related to the 2nd Amendment or may be related to jurisdiction and plaintiffs. I have heard that sometimes the Supreme Court doesn't think the appeal is the "right one" to take on a certain issue. I have heard of appeals being rejected because they simply do not have enough time in their docket.
    Cody
    Thomas' dissent...

Less than a decade ago, we explained that an ordinance requiring firearms in the home to be kept inoperable, without an exception for self-defense, conflicted with the Second Amendment because it “ma[de] it impossible for citizens to use [their firearms] for the core lawful purpose of self- defense.” District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U. S. 570, 630 (2008). Despite the clarity with which we described the Second Amendment’s core protection for the right of self-defense, lower courts, including the ones here, have failed to protect it. Because Second Amendment rights are no less protected by our Constitution than other rights enumerated in that document, I would have granted this petition.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Just finished reading the whole opinion here: http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...5/12-17803.pdf

The good news is they affirmed the right of self-defense and the right to carry in the home. I personally think they erred when they found the restrictions reasonable. If the City required everyone to lock up their knives when not in use or carry them on their person, I am fairly certain the courts would find that unreasonable.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I wonder what changed their minds.....

/sarcasm.
    As much as I hate the OC retard squad I don't think this can be laid at their feet. Guns carried by folks aren't impacted by the ordinance. Just those not being carried around.

How in the heck was the city going to enforce this law?? Were they going to do bed checks to see if people sleeping with their guns on the nightstand had them made inoperable. What a bunch of idiots. I was soooooo disappointed this weekend when some seismologist reassured us that the San Andreas fault couldn't cause Kali to fall into the Pacific. What a downer.

This is why I'm not too keen on having things make it to the SCroTUS. They are just as scary in their thought process as the rest of the government lapdogs.

on the left, guy or gal?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

on the left, guy or gal?
    yes.
    2 words... catlyn jenner
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Carry around the house.

Leave the key in your locked container.

The law may not be right, but its not hard to get around and still have a gun available for immediate defense.

I can't tell you how many home invasions I've seen where the occupant had guns around the house but was prevented from reaching them by suspect actions. One of my first murders was a guy toes up literally half in and half out of his doorway wearing nothing but his boxers. There were dozens of guns in the house. None were secured. None mattered.

A carried gun beats a stash gun.

User Tag List