Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article Regarding DevGru

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Article Regarding DevGru

Jim Reese linked to this via Twitter today - a lengthy New York Times article about DevGru. Probably not much in there members of this forum wouldn't be familiar with, but it's worth a read, if you've nothing better to do.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Jim Reese linked to this via Twitter today - a lengthy New York Times article about DevGru. Probably not much in there members of this forum wouldn't be familiar with, but it's worth a read, if you've nothing better to do.
    I really wish people would shut up and not talk to the press. Even if nothing they say is confidential on an individual basis, a good reporter can put together lots of small pieces of information from a bunch of different people and build a mosaic with it. It's a good way to get folks killed and to compromise missions.

Unless you are trying to assist an enemy force, why on earth would you publish aerial photos of their headquarters?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Those images are straight off of Google. Anyone with internet access has been able to look at photos of those facilities for as long as aerial/satellite imagery has been around.

The NYT definitely didn't publish anything new with those images. You can get much closer views than what they provided. If you don't know where to look in the first place, you can just Google something like "DevGru on Google maps" and at least a dozen sites will have it marked for you.

Our government limits satellite maps for very few locations, but even those are handled pretty poorly. Most locations that are blurred in Google appear in Bing (or vice versa), or can be seen if you simply shift the map to a different year. Just like the government can't resist putting their hands all over citizen data, citizens can't resist combing through digital maps of government facilities. If someone notices that a location is censored they'll desperately hunt for another source/date/angle.

I have to presume that anything our government really cares about hiding from the sky isn't visible from the sky. After all, we're not the only ones with satellite imagery.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Site Supporter
    I'm shocked... SHOCKED I SAY... to learn SEALs on Team 6 used tomahawks not just as tools but as weapons in close combat!

Good grief, of all the things to be outraged by...

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I'm shocked... SHOCKED I SAY... to learn SEALs on Team 6 used tomahawks not just as tools but as weapons in close combat!

Good grief, of all the things to be outraged by...
    Because a low velocity puncture to an enemy is somehow more offensive than a high velocity one...

I liked the part about the knife kill.....91 cuts on the body!

A few things.
    First....91 cuts, you are doing it wrong

Okay seriously I see two issues. The first is I really wish none of this stuff was in print. It doesn't need to be and I think it very much causes a ton of issues.

Second, the cover of this magazine is the other problem. Essentially, everybody needs to STFU.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Thank God those guys never heard on an E-tool......

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Unless you are trying to assist an enemy force, why on earth would you publish aerial photos of their headquarters?
    Probably because you had nothing interesting to talk about at that point in the article. Honestly, if you think about all the stuff that was out there about Area 51 back in the day, it's hard to keep locations secret for long.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    The first is I really wish none of this stuff was in print. It doesn't need to be and I think it very much causes a ton of issues.
    I get that, but where there's no information, there's nothing to counter misinformation. There's a lot to be gained by keeping people guessing, but things like rumors of indiscriminate killings of civilians have to be addressed somehow. The raid in Abbottabad was live-tweeted by a resident who lived there - it's hard to keep stuff in the dark these days.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List