Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hooking trigger guard with support hand index finger

I saw this recently. I was mildy surprised (being one of those finger on trigger guard guys).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvO_1B5dfc

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I saw this recently. I was mildy surprised (being one of those finger on trigger guard guys).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvO_1B5dfc
    Well yeah...but what does Jerry know...

Site Supporter
    Seems there's some Frenchman who shoots a pistol pretty well who does the finger on the trigger guard thing...then again, a lot of great shooters don't do it, so I suspect it's a personal choice. I don't have a grip that is the equivalent of a benchtop vice like Jerry or Eric, so I don't do the trigger guard thing.

I used to hook my left index finger around the triggerguard, and shot very well (it was all the rage when I learned to shoot IPSC, quite a few years back...).

Few years more, and most of the top guys dropped this kind of grip, and I decided to change and shot very well too. Since many pistolss don't have a squared trigger guard, and I also shoot revolvers, I think not relying on this is a more universal thing.

With the proper gun AND if it fits your hands and finger length, it Works well and using it or not it's a personal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Well yeah...but what does Jerry know...
    Not every has his raw talent or ability to shoot as much as he does either... but what do I know

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Not every has his raw talent or ability to shoot as much as he does either... but what do I know
    Very true, and something that often gets lost in translation. What works for a top tier expert may not work well for the less skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Very true, and something that often gets lost in translation. What works for a top tier expert may not work well for the less skilled.
    sorry that came of kind of rude. I think its just important to keep that in mind

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    sorry that came of kind of rude. I think its just important to keep that in mind
    I didn't take it as rude, we're good.

I gave it a go today. The results were stunning!

No difference. No discernible difference, anyway. The accuracy was a touch better with the finger on the trigger guard, but well within my own normal variations. Average times were .02 seconds faster for a 7 yard bill drill (5 attempts with both grips). Again, well within my own standard variation.

I tried it with the P226 as well and noticed my accuracy went to poo. Then I realized I wasn't putting lateral pressure on the heels of my palms and fixed that and it tightened back up. I'm going to shoot more tomorrow and see, but so far it really looks like a wash, so it'll boil down to comfort and ease of assuming the correct grip.

I shot for about 2 hours today and rotated through my P229, P226, and P220. While the finger on the trigger guard is more comfortable on the P229, it is less so on the P226 and P220. I again found it tougher to keep correct lateral pressure on the palms of my hands with the P226 and had to keep reminding myself. I suppose it takes some getting used to whenever you try something new like this.

I think this isn't going to be for me. If I already shot like this and didn't have years and years of NOT doing it this way, it might be a different story. I just don't think I'm going to see enough improvement given the effort and time to relearn my grip to incorporate it just to be more comfortable with one gun.

The real lesson is: Just carry the P226 or P220. The P220 is still my favorite handgun. The call of free ammo is just tough to resist, and free ammo is only in .40 at the range. I'm sending the P226 to Bruce Gray, and when it gets back I think the P229 will just be relegated to the safe.

User Tag List