Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a Close Fitting OWB with Retention

Site Supporter

Recommendations for a Close Fitting OWB with Retention

With open carry seemingly a done deal in TX come 1-1-2016, I'd like to find an OWB holster and try carrying "covered" OWB.
    (No plans to OC, but OWB would be nice if I could find a holster that worked for me)

Looking for something with retention features, but for now want to stay away from thumb breaks.

Bianchi Model 82 CarryLok™ looks interesting. Anyone tried it?

Seems there's no GLS/ALS available for my HK P2000SK, unfortunately. Too bad, the 537 GLS looks interesting.

Also wouldn't object to Kydex.

What else should I be looking at? "Close fitting" is high on the priority list.

Thanks!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

You might want to contact makers like Raven or JM to see if they can make one for you. I've heard rumors of Raven making a retention holster. Knife Kits (no affiliation) also sells the WRS kits pretty cheap. Also blade tech sells duty holsters, but I'm not sure how snug fitting they are.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Seems there's no GLS/ALS available for my HK P2000SK, unfortunately. Too bad, the 537 GLS looks interesting.
    The 57X GLS series fits the P2000 SK, according to the Safariland website, though it's not exactly a concealment holster.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    You might want to contact makers like Raven or JM to see if they can make one for you. I've heard rumors of Raven making a retention holster.
    RCS does have that option in their custom line, but it's just a thumb break, which RoyGBiv has stated he doesn't want, or so I was told when I inquired about it in January of 2014:

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    You might want to contact makers like Raven or JM to see if they can make one for you. I've heard rumors of Raven making a retention holster.
    In the event of an actual, motivated gun grab, I seriously doubt a kydex OWB held together entirely by tiny screws will hold together.

They (safari land) make the Pro-fit for the 2000sk.

http://www.holsterops.com/gls-pro-fit

Scroll to bottom for fit chart.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

5.11 thumb drive or safariland ALS are both good to go - coworker of mines runs them on duty and they are solid single-retention devices.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    They (safari land) make the Pro-fit for the 2000sk.

http://www.holsterops.com/gls-pro-fit

Scroll to bottom for fit chart.
    I missed that searching safariland, thanks.
    In my limited experience with paddle holsters , they tend to rotate away from my hip towards the muzzle, but might have been a belt issue back then.

The 576 might be worth a try.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 06-06-2015 at 09:51 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I missed that searching safariland, thanks.
    In my limited experience with paddle holsters , they tend to rotate away from my hip towards the muzzle, but might have been a belt issue back then.

The 576 might be worth a try.
    That's my same experience with paddles even using gun belts. I think it's from the way that the paddle/mount is shaped.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

OP,

None of the holsters mentioned are what I would consider close fitting. For a true close fitting OWB holster with retention, I think you will have to look at thumb breaks. Mitch Rosen makes the closest fitting OWB I have ever seen. If you go that route, you MUST get a belt and mag pouch from him as well.

If your idea of close fitting is different from my idea of it, then a Safariland on a belt loop would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    In the event of an actual, motivated gun grab, I seriously doubt a kydex OWB held together entirely by tiny screws will hold together.
    People were yanking on kydex holsters pretty darn hard in Shivworks ECQC, and mine didn't explode into a shower of sparks.

User Tag List