Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New 9 mm ammo testing

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I'm really OCD about stuff like this and even I learned a long time ago to let this one go.
    I've got to agree.

If I'm just practicing at the range, I can tell the difference between something like CCI 3509 (115gr Blazer) or Federal AE9DP (115gr American Eagle) and my carry load (Federal P9HST3, 124gr +p) as if one was a .22 and the other was a .50 DE.

In drills I can see (very) small differences in splits.

Whenever I'm doing anything that takes my attention away from recoil, I don't notice the difference whatsoever. I use carry ammo for matches and always have going back to the first IDPA Nationals I shot ('00 or '01). The ammo has never been responsible for my performance or lack thereof.

The only meaningful issue is that as your practice & carry loads grow farther apart in terms of external ballistics they'll have different POIs especially at distance. I always zero my gun to my carry ammo and tend to use it whenever I'm shooting at 50yd or beyond. Note that even two loads that appear identical in terms of bullet weight and muzzle velocity may shoot differently enough in a gun that you need to be cognizant of it. For example, I've had 230gr hardball that had a different POI (especially at distance) than the Winchester Ranger and Fed Gold Dot I've carried in .45's.

Quote Originally Posted by MKE.guns View Post
    Rich,

Have you found out any additional info on the 124gr HST?
    I just purchased my first 9mm (own 40S&W) and all I can seem to find
    is the HST1 124gr.

Thanks
    Other than I found some 124gr HST at a local gun shop here in Punta Gorda for 38 dollars a box of 20rds. pass
    They didn't have any 180 in 40S&W

I still have a stash of 2005 ranger SXT RA9TA 127 +P+

Been told the 127 +P+ had a revision made in 2008

Maybe that why the win LE catalog had the 127 gr penetrating a bit more than the older catalog ..

According to Win LE catalog 127 +P+
    BG P= 14.3
    Expansion =0.680
    RW=116.7grs

Heavy Cloth P=14.4
    expansion 0.703
    RW 118grs

Auto Glass P=9.7
    expansion = 0.519
    RW 77.6grs

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The Federal 135 gr +P Tactical works very well--it is one of the best 9 mm loads available.

9mm Fed 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5) from 4" S&W 5906 at ave vel of 1069 f/s; 5 shot ave below:
    BG: Pen = 16.0", RD = 0.58", RL = 0.36", RW = 126.6 gr
    4LD: Pen = 16.3", RD = 0.55", RL = 0.45", RW = 134.0 gr

ATK's own data is available here, including info on the 124 gr standard pressure HST:
    http://le.atk.com/pdf/GoldDotPoster.pdf
    http://le.atk.com/pdf/HSTInsertPoster.pdf
    What about the standard pressure F 124gr B?

Would it have mild recoil like the 147 HST?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    They didn't have any 180 in 40S&W
    Not sure if you can buy ammo online where you live, but if you are looking for 180 HST rounds:

http://www.luckygunner.com/40-sw-180...le-1000-rounds

I've been able to find 40SW HST at http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/40sw/ pretty much every time I've checked in the last couple of months, in both 165gr and 180gr varieties for around $30 per 50.

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    Not sure if you can buy ammo online where you live, but if you are looking for 180 HST rounds:

http://www.luckygunner.com/40-sw-180...le-1000-rounds
    That's my go to for my lawman ball ammo! I broke down and bought a box 20rds of the HST 180gr.! So I have 1 12rd mag full and the rest of my mags are loaded with 2005 ranger 180gr T

Every time I find HST 124+p I don't have the cash or its out of stock. Hell 2 boxes would last me a for years. I box to test the other to use.

A question for Doc.

Why isn't Black Hills ammo listed as one of the best. Is it because it's not or because of the size of the company?
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
    A question for Doc.

Why isn't Black Hills ammo listed as one of the best. Is it because it's not or because of the size of the company?
    I'm pretty sure it's because of the bullet they use. Years ago when they used Gold Dots up and down their handgun line it was thee ammo to get. Then I think they moved to XTPs which in many calibers aren't all that much in the defense load performance.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Because Black Hills does not yet make bullets and loads other vendors projectiles, hence the comment: "Obviously, clone loads using the same bullet at the same velocity work equally well (ie. Black Hills ammo using Gold Dot bullets, Corbon loads using Barnes XPB bullets, etc…)". If BH has a specific loading that no one else makes (ex. BH 5.56mm 50 gr TSX) then it is listed individually. BH generally makes superb ammunition.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Thanks guys.

I realize that the bullet and velocity are the same as Hornady's Custom but I was wondering about all the components, i.e. powder, primers, brass, would enter into the equation.

Maybe I was over-thinking the whole thing.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

User Tag List