Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New 9 mm ammo testing

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Yes, the Barnes loaded ammo. And it says +P on the box, but I not the velocity is only in the 1000s, most of the +P 115gr I have fired over the years is over 1200fps.

Recoil is kind of subjective, but the Barnes I shot recoiled less to me than the 115gr WWB I was also shooting that day.

I'm still using 124 HST. I've been looking at the Barnes load for awhile now Thanks to YOU.

I've seen a few different velocity test that show low velocity with that load. In one test a Beretta M9 velocity was 1020FPS.

I know the velocity will be a little lower in compact pistols that are under 4inches. 3.5 - 3.9

Now I know about the Barnes Gel test thanks to Josh at Barnes in the tacked treads here and a AR15 and don't think its the same 9mm load used in that test because of the velocity!

Would 1000 FPS be enough velocity for this load to pass the BG and 4layer test?

Pretty sure that's exactly the same stuff he tested. I need to dig up his last paper on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Pretty sure that's exactly the same stuff he tested. I need to dig up his last paper on that.
    EDIT

Talking about being mixed up.

The Barnes 9mm gel testing show velocity around 1200 fps

The velocity Ive seen listed out of a M9 was 1020FPS
    I also saw other test that show low velocity.
    Last edited by Rich; 07-24-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks 1069 . so I bet the M9 velocity is right depending on location / temp etc!

I wonder if it was shot with a g17

Doc tends to shoot from duty pistols unless specifically noted.

Been having issues finding any Ranger or HST in 147gr or 124gr +p. By the time I get the notification from SGAmmo, it's all gone. So, I picked up a few hundred rounds of 124gr +p GD's from ammotogo. They've always been my "back-up" to Rangers or HST's, so I have no problem carrying them... And the fact that they are on Doc's list doesn't hurt😁

Quote Originally Posted by BoppaBear View Post
    Been having issues finding any Ranger or HST in 147gr or 124gr +p. By the time I get the notification from SGAmmo, it's all gone. So, I picked up a few hundred rounds of 124gr +p GD's from ammotogo. They've always been my "back-up" to Rangers or HST's, so I have no problem carrying them... And the fact that they are on Doc's list doesn't hurt😁
    Chuck's enthusiasm for them made them primary for me (and the 230 standard pressure is swappable for me with HST in .45). Wilson / Barnes in the .38 special and .38 super.
    Ignore Alien Orders

New 9 mm ammo testing

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Chuck's enthusiasm for them made them primary for me (and the 230 standard pressure is swappable for me with HST in .45). Wilson / Barnes in the .38 special and .38 super.
    Right there with you. I have no problem relying on them as my primary. While GD's may not be the latest in technology, neither are Rangers or HSTs. I'll choose proven and well-documented over the latest and greatest Zombie Killer 2014's, every day of the week.

User Tag List