Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Best Shot You've Ever Witnessed?

I am clinging behind my buddy who is going like a bat down a logging road with manny rut-filled, whoop-de-does on a Honda 90.
    A ground squirrel breaks cover about forty-five yards in front of us crossing from right to left.
    Scoped T- bolt .22 held in left hand over my buddy's left shoulder while right hand and arm are trying to hold onto buddy to keep from being ejected from back of the bouncing bike.
    Left eye to the scope.
    Squirrel enters field of view.
    Meat-computer pulls the trigger.
    Squirrel does summersault with a hollow-point through the left ear.
    Mu-shin.

Site Supporter
    This isn’t about a good shot, because it was a miss. But I’ll never forget it.

Dad and I were squirrel hunting on some government land. We had just entered the woods and were really heading for the spot where we’d split up when a suicidal squirrel jumps on the side of a tree about 30 yards ahead of us and starts angrily barking at us. Dad raises his .22 browning to take his usual head shot and end the territorial debate.
    The bullet must have gone under the tree bark right where the squirrel was holding on. The little bugger screamed and violently pushed himself away from the tree with his front feet, but held on with his hind feet. There he was, hanging upside down and belly out from the tree. He was still hanging on by his back feet while furiously licking his front feet.
    Needless to say, we never got off another shot. Marksmanship goes to pot when your laughing your head off and have tears in your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    The bullet must have gone under the tree bark right where the squirrel was holding on. The little bugger screamed and violently pushed himself away from the tree with his front feet, but held on with his hind feet. There he was, hanging upside down and belly out from the tree. He was still hanging on by his back feet while furiously licking his front feet.
    Needless to say, we never got off another shot. Marksmanship goes to pot when your laughing your head off and have tears in your eyes.
    That's not how barking a squirrel is supposed to go.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Friends and I shooting on an old logging road in the bush. slightly uphill shot at 325yds on an aluminum plate about 4inches by 6inches and about 3 inches thick, laying on it's long side. Buddy does a Babe Ruth with his Glock 21, Points a the target and says, "Watch this". Pulls the trigger and second or so later, ding!!! We scramble out there, find the chunk, and it's an edge hit, full diameter though and it's put a serious dent into the aluminum. Very impressive.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Long distance pistol shooting with EDC guns is my idea of fun and how I usually end a range session. I have made a hanging steel gong sway after four out of five hits with a LEM USPc 40 at 175 yards but my favorites are:

#2 Plinking with a G35 at 100 yards was to easy so a friend and I broke out a rangefinder and worked back to 227 yards before running out of real estate. Pow! Pause. TING. Pure sweetness!

#1 M&P Shield at 100 yards with the off (left) hand while eating a raspberry doughnut. It qualified me for Unobtanium Status Membership with the Fraternal Brothers of the Holy Doughnut FB page. A co-worker videoed me making taking the shot and you could hear the round hitting steel. I'm sitting here smiling thinking about it.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    My Glock armorer's course was held at a police training range in Arlington, and one of the students asked for a demo of the Glock 18. The instructor's a big dude - maybe 6'2" and 250-ish - and had been to Glock's operator course for the 18, so during a break, we all went out to the range. Dude dumped a 33-round magazine in about two seconds, and managed to keep all the rounds in the thoracic cavity. Granted, he was about ten feet from the target, but I had always heard the Glock 18 was utterly useless, so I thought that demo was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Round traversed the victims head via sinuses and cheek - destroyed Victim's left eye but otherwise left him functional. To me, this is proof of guardian angels - SOMETHING directed that round (fired at about 4-6 feet) from entering the victim's brain and killing him or making him a vegetable...
    My father's a psychologist, and one of his counselees had attempted suicide. Put a gun in his mouth, and the round went through his sinus cavity, destroyed his left eye, then followed the interior curve of his skull to exit the top of his head. Minimal impairment, and the guy always wore a ball cap, so you couldn't tell. Dad said he rarely uses existential lines of reasoning with patients, but with that guy, it was hard not to.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I got to spend a lot of time on the G18 with taxpayer ammo. You can get very good at using body mechanics to do some good work with them.

As far as the most impressive thing I have ever seen done with a handgun....during a demo for my SWAT team, World Fast a Draw champion "Cisco" Drew and fired six rounds from a single action revolver hitting six individual playing cards stapled on a target in less than a second. Craziest thing I have ever seen. I have watched Gil practice and compete. It is something that requires hours of practice everyday, and he is amazing.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Buddy, who routinely would plink empty brass off the top of pepper poppers at 25!with his 586, is helping me set up a stage for private practice. He objects to my placement of one of the targets, too hard a shot. We're discussing this at about 20 yards, alone on the range early in the AM. Buddy says, "hot," draws his P14, and destaples the target with four rounds.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Last Monday, I did some long range shooting and made my best shot ever.

AIAE mk 3, .260 Rem, 24" Bartlein barrel, TBAC 30P1 suppressor, S&B PM2 MSR 5-25
    142gr SMK, 43.6gr H4350, Lapua brass, Fed primers, 2850 fps

Full size IPSC at 1790 yards (~1 mile)
    Wind ~12 mph from 11:00
    Density Altitude ~5000'
    +22.2 mil
    1.3 mil L windage (holding 6' off the target)

1st round hit! 3 seconds to see the impact, 5 seconds to hear the impact.

Name:  1Mile.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  51.2 KB
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-03-2016 at 07:07 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Maybe not the best shot, but one of my more fond range moments.

My father and I hit the local range to sight in my deer rifle, I also brought my P226, but with how crowded it was, there was no chance for us to use the pistol pits. After we were done with the rifle I loaded my sig just so I could shoot it some. Took aim at our rifle target which was at 100 yards and I started shooting. After a couple rounds someone gave out a "holy shit" yell, it was some guy with a spotting scope two lanes over who was peering at my target. Now every one nearby with their scoped rifles was watching me hit a 11X8 paper target with a handgun. I only hit the target maybe 7 or 8 times out of 18, but all the people around me was thought it was amazing.

User Tag List