Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What's the Best Shot You've Ever Witnessed?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Last Monday, I did some long range shooting and made my best shot ever.

AIAE mk 3, .260 Rem, 24" Bartlein barrel, TBAC 30P1 suppressor, S&B PM2 MSR 5-25
    142gr SMK, 43.6gr H4350, Lapua brass, Fed primers, 2850 fps

Full size IPSC at 1790 yards (~1 mile)
    Wind ~12 mph from 11:00
    Density Altitude ~5000'
    +22.2 mil
    1.3 mil L windage (holding 6' off the target)

1st round hit! 3 seconds to see the impact, 5 seconds to hear the impact.

Attachment 9647
    Awesome shot dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Awesome shot dude!

Thanks. I finally found a good spot for shooting 1400-1900 yds., and I'm not telling where it is.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Dallas PD range, 1978 an old range officer crunching clays thrown from a mechanical trap with an extended rib 1911 bullseye gun. Straightaway's and hard right/ left. Co-worker said, "Oh, he can do that all day."
    I had a Boy Scout leader who could do that with his Beretta. It really made us try harder with the shotguns!

I've seen a few good trick shots; a good friend of mine is a LE Firearm Instructor for a county down south of me. He has run of a SO range that we will go to and he can consistently hit an phone-book sized steel target at 230 yards with his G23C.

The best and worst one was the first time I ever took my girlfriend(now wife) shooting. The only handgun I owned at the time was a USP40f, so that's what we brought to the local indoor 'dungeon' as she referred to it. It had all the standard overhead cables & pullies that a 25y indoor range has. Her target was a typical silhouette, the blue one on a cream background that I pushed out to 7 yards (minimum distance). We had already gone over functionality of the gun and how to use it. She lined the sites up and squeezed off the first round and it went straight through the forehead of the target....but impacted the eyelet the cables ran through at the end of range causing the whole assembly to fall out of the ceiling at her....which startled her and led to a 2nd round being squeezed off into the overhead light which blew up in spectacular fashion.

We were asked to leave after paying for the damages.
    Lesson learned, new shooters only get 1 round in their gun until I know what they'll do with the second, even if things come falling out of the ceiling at them.
    This was about 9 years ago and she still won't shoot at indoor ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post

I've got a few pics and stories about Kauber but if he catches me posting them?! I gotta work for him, on a huge training facility out in the middle of BFE... [emoji51] In all seriousness he's very serious about the quiet professional directive, and I respect that about him.

Very cool story. Thanks for posting.

One time some friends and neighbors of mine had built a decoy town to trap a bunch of rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists. Anyway the detonation plunger had come unhooked from the dynamite and the Waco Kid made about a half mile shot with a revolver to detonate the explosives. Unbelievable shot under pressure . . . plus, I think he was drunk.

Was desert shooting outside of Tucson with a cop buddy of mine who pretty much grew up on the ISP range (his dad was a firearms instructor and the epitome of an old school 70s/80s cop), and is one of those annoying naturals with a gun that doesn't train much and still hands you your ass. He was shooting an old beater gen. 2 G19 he had picked up used, and it eithere had sto keep sights or standard Trijicon 3 dots. A bee kept buzzing around and annoying us and he decided to do something about it. He called his shot, then proceeded to shoot the little bastard out of the air on his 5th or 6th shot at around 7 yards. I heard the buzz over the shots right up until he hit it, then dead silence, right at the same time the flying silhouette just disappears. No body to be found, but considering the bullet was bigger from the target, I wouldn't expect there to be one...
    Last edited by Sero Sed Serio; 08-13-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    Was desert shooting outside of Tucson with a cop buddy of mine who pretty much grew up on the ISP range (his dad was a firearms instructor and the epitome of an old school 70s/80s cop), and is one of those annoying naturals with a gun that doesn't train much and still hands you your ass. He was shooting an old beater gen. 2 G19 he had picked up used, and it eithere had sto keep sights or standard Trijicon 3 dots. A bee kept buzzing around and annoying us and he decided to do something about it. He called his shot, then proceeded to shoot the little bastard out of the air on his 5th or 6th shot at around 7 yards. I heard the buzz over the shots right up until he hit it, then dead silence, right at the same time the flying silhouette just disappears. No body to be found, but considering the bullet was bigger from the target, I wouldn't expect there to be one...
    Distance wasn't quite 7 yards like yours, but mine was on the first shot

i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Distance wasn't quite 7 yards like yours, but mine was on the first shot

Reminds me of the time I was shooting with a Deputy Sheriff friend. We were shooting 1911s' in .45 at the range and a butterfly was in front of one of our targets at about 15 yards. He said watch me hit that butterfly and sure enough shot it into oblivion on his first shot from a weaver stance. He quiet shooting after that and wore a grin all the way home.

A couple from yesterday, which we all know is another country.

1. Shooting 22 lr at 50 yards on a 100 yard range. We had previously shot some center fire at 100 and the targets were still up. My friend saw a bee on the target at a 100, called the shot as I looked through the spotting scope, and nailed it dead center.

2. Another friend shot high power matches. He always used an 03 with open sights. He shot them cold. He would walk up to the line when it was his turn, shoot about as fast as he could work the bolt, and walk back to his seat. He often won, and rarely fell below third place. It infuriated some of the lessor sports.

3. Yet another friend was a retired Special Agent for the Missouri Pacific RR, carried a J Frame Centennial in his right front pocket. He could, on demand, draw and hit a Pepper popper point shooting 5 for 5 at 20 yards. I've seen him do it perhaps a dozen times.

They're all long dead now. I sure do miss those folks.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

I was invited to a machine gun shoot by my LGS owner and took my 12 yr old son with me. When the shoot was over the LGS owner and his friends decided to shoot some of the tannerite charges that he had made up but hadn't sold. They placed three of them the gravel pit we were at, one on a hill, one on the hood of a shootin' car, and one out in the middle of the pit. One of the guys there asked if my son could shoot, I thought he meant did he know how. He was asking if my son wanted to shoot at one of the tannerite charges, which were a bit bigger than a softball. I said yes so he gets out his AR and we set my son up at the edge of the pit.

My son is a small kid and has trouble holding full length rifle unsupported. I had him sit down near the edge of the drop off into the pit, put his left elbow on his raised left knee for support. The rifles owner put it into battery for him and told him he was good to go, to shoot at the charge on the pit floor. Not only was I happy to see him keep his finger off the trigger until he was ready to shoot, he also controlled his breathing in what was a stressful situation with four of us standing there waiting for him to fire. We figured the distance at 30 to 40 ft down, about 80 yards out. One shot. Boom. With an unfamiliar rifle and iron sights. The other three guys all turned to look at me like they didn't believe what they saw. I just nodded my head and smiled. My son didn't budge, took his finger off the trigger, and asked if he could shoot another one.

Not the best shot I've seen, but it sure did make me proud.

User Tag List