Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Backwards Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    I think the perception that it's off is because the bar is moving opposite to the wheel, when they normally move together.
    And because the weird steering causes him to over correct quickly resulting in bigger-looking movements.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    And because the weird steering causes him to over correct quickly resulting in bigger-looking movements.
    Yep. Having recently helped my daughter learn how to ride a bike, her over-correction tendencies made his movements look more normal.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    What this shows me is how hard it is to unlearn something you have learned incorrectly before.
    That was my take away from it. I don't remember what class I was taking or who the instructor was, but I remember him saying that, "Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent!" He was warning us against learning something wrong. I was wondering if you instructors have to spend more time helping people unlearn bad techniques than simply teaching good ones.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    That was my take away from it. I don't remember what class I was taking or who the instructor was, but I remember him saying that, "Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent!" He was warning us against learning something wrong. I was wondering if you instructors have to spend more time helping people unlearn bad techniques than simply teaching good ones.
    Yes, I do.

i first heard that phrase from Pat Rogers. It is spot on.

It is often difficult to break a bad habit and instill a correct one in a shooter. I often like people to be very deliberate (I don't like to say slow) in their manipulations / actions so that they execute correct repetitions. Often people will want to increase speeds and "outrun their headlights" so to speak and execution goes into the toilet. I generally comment to them that "if you are fast and all fucked up, you're just teaching yourself to be fucked up very quickly".

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    It is often difficult to break a bad habit and instill a correct one in a shooter. I often like people to be very deliberate (I don't like to say slow) in their manipulations / actions so that they execute correct repetitions. Often people will want to increase speeds and "outrun their headlights" so to speak and execution goes into the toilet. I generally comment to them that "if you are fast and all fucked up, you're just teaching yourself to be fucked up very quickly".
    Well stated.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List