Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G19 vs G17, Am I being stupid?

G19 vs G17, Am I being stupid?

I have two identical Gen 4 G17's. I use one as an EDC and another for practice/competition. I chose the 17 because I felt that I could perform better with a full-size gun. At the time that was definitely true. However, my skill has increased quite a bit over the past 2 years since I've really focused on pistol and now I can shoot a 19 pretty much the same as a 17 in terms of accuracy. This is all a thing now because I just Monday night traded an Aimpoint for a Gen 3 G19 with Trijicon HD's. Since I had it, I carried it that night and felt that the grip disappeared under a shirt when carried at 3:30 IWB a little easier than with my G17 (well duh, it's a shorter grip). That said, I get pinched on reloads and get horrible Glock Knuckle from trying to force my fingers to all fit on the 19's grip. So at this point I'm debating the following options:

1) Sell it, buy ammo.
    2) Keep it, carry it. It conceals a little easier and is still a viable pistol. Likelihood of needing to reload in a defensive shooting (or even getting into a defensive shooting) very low and slight performance difference/discomfort won't matter.
    3) Chop and grind the frame...fingers will fit better with grooves gone. Now you have a customized carry gun. Downsides are low resale value and potential negative DA influence if used in a defensive shooting.

Thoughts? I'm perfectly happy with my 17's, but damn that 19 is just a little easier to carry. Everyone seems to love the 19 too. Am I just missing something?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Definitely keep the 19 and leave it just the way it is except maybe if you must, do some grinding for the Glock knuckle thing.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

For me I find the g19 shorter grip makes it easier to dress how I normally dress.(pants and shirts that have a more tailored fit)

I usually sand down the edge of the trigger guard and round it out some. It fixes the problem for me.

If I were you I would just keep it and sand the triggergaurd down a little and run a g17 mag as a reload.

Grind the frame to fix the knuckle issue. For the blister issue, carry with a G19 mag for concealment but carry G17 mags as your spares.

Okie John

are you using glock 17 mags as your reload?

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Grind the frame to fix the knuckle issue. For the blister issue, carry with a G19 mag for concealment but carry G17 mags as your spares.

Okie John
    What John said.

If you have your frame modified by a well known, in demand grinder it shouldn't have a negative effect on resale. I had my 19 done by Cold Bore Custom.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I have two identical Gen 4 G17's. I use one as an EDC and another for practice/competition. I chose the 17 because I felt that I could perform better with a full-size gun. At the time that was definitely true. However, my skill has increased quite a bit over the past 2 years since I've really focused on pistol and now I can shoot a 19 pretty much the same as a 17 in terms of accuracy.
    I can too -- when shooting two handed, with a well-acquired grip. Where the G17 really shines for me is one-handed shooting (having the lower palm make contact with the grip is a huge difference), and especially an imperfect one handed grip, such as when you draw really hastily. Once in a blue moon I can stovepipe a G19 in that case, but my G17s have never stovepiped. YMMV.

I carry the G17 most of the time, but the G19 comes out when it's 90+ degrees, and cover garments are lighter.

I wouldn't be in a rush to do anything at this point. Spend some more time with your new Glock 19. It may grow on you. I have larger hands and my gen3 Glock 19 has been placed into retirement for a gen4 Glock 19. The large back strap makes all the difference int he world for me.

After a while if you can not shoot the Glock 19 to your satisfaction, you can sell it off. Sometimes all it takes is a little sandpaper here and there. But we all have different size and shaped hands, so...

I would use a full size Glock 17 magazine for a reload. I would also not worry about any negative repercussions from a prosecutor if you are involved in a shooting with a Glock 19 that you had the finger groves removed. A good shooting is a good shooting. And a bad shooting is bad. Finger groves or no.

The Glock 19's are a joy to carry. Especially in the summer. But if you can't shoot it to you satisfaction, it's kind of a moot point.

I'm also a huge fan of the 19 as a CCW piece, especially in the summer.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List