Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Do-All Carbine - More Possible than ever?

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Very tempting. I like the 34mm tube and more elevation travel of the XTR II. But I hear the glass on the new PST is really good...

Is there a PF discount?
    Call me at 916.670.1103 for PF pricing
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

My idea of a general purpose AR has evolved over time, but the core remains the same- simple configuration, short & light as practical, quick handling, easy to shoot, robust and meant to be shot. Duties include, but are not limited to, defense, plinking, hunting and training.

I think the most versatile configuration would be a 16" 223/5.56 AR (carbine or middie, it doesn't matter as long as it's gassed right and has quality springs) with a low powered variable, sling and weapon light. I'm looking at getting an AMTAC over the barrel suppressor for my GP AR. Suppressor length is 7 inches, but most of the length fits over the barrel and only increases the length about 3 or 4 inches. This configuration would work for defense, small to medium game, hogs, varmints and offer protection against cougar and the rare black bear attacks. If something more powerful is needed, the same set up in 308 would serve. The 308 isn't the ideal caliber for hunting large bears, but it allows quick, multiple shots. AMTAC also makes an over the barrel suppressor for the 308 which I plan to get for my M&P-10.

After playing with various gas system lengths, barrel lengths and adjustable gas blocks, I've come to the conclusion that proper gas flow is more important than whether it's a carbine gas or middie gas length system. The real difference is smaller changes in gas port diameter and ammo pressure have a greater affect on a 16" carbine gas system than they do on a 16" middie system
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

For the last ten years, my idea of a do all carbine has been to have an Aimpoint in a QD mount on the carbine, and a zeroed low power variable in a QD mount, in the rifle case for special situations.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For the last ten years, my idea of a do all carbine has been to have an Aimpoint in a QD mount on the carbine, and a zeroed low power variable in a QD mount, in the rifle case for special situations.
    I have an H1 that I think I will setup for that purpose.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I was of that mindset as well. Maybe it' was just me, but I could never decide which optic should be the primary and which should be the secondary "special situation" optic. If my eyesight didn't suck (pronounced astigmatism), the RDS (an AP PRO) would have been the easy choice as the primary. I've also come to prefer non-QD optic mounts.

I ended up doing plenty of research to identify the lightest, reasonable-quality LPV which provides the best performance for my needs. I ended up with a Leupold VX-R Patrol, which weighs about 12 ounces. I then did the same for a scope mount, starting with an Aero (which I promptly broke upon installation) and ended up with a GG&G non-QD mount. The scope/mount combo weighs 17 ounces (my goal was no more than 16 ounces, which I would have made with the Aero mount).

I then installed a set of MBUS PRO offset irons with the "match" front sight post. As an old high power shooter, I like irons and find these really fit the bill for me. I also like that when folded down, they lay very flat and are completely out of the way. I thought that having to hold the rifle gangsta style at a 45 would be an issue, but it is not. In fact, with the irons up the transition back and forth from LPV is fast and intuitive.

It's all about compromise and thus far this one seems to work the best for me. The VX-R recticle is a bit heavy, but still suitable for accurate defensive shooting out to 300 yards or so. The optical quality is impressive for the price point and offers far better target identification capability than any RDS. The FireDot works really well and in combination with the 1.25X lower magnification, provides decent CQC capability (though not quite as fast as the AP PRO). That said, if I ever have the coin I might let the carbine gain an ounce or two and install a Leupold 1-6x24 VX-6HD Multigun which would offer true 1X, higher magnification for longer range accuracy/target ID, a better (IMO) illuminated recticle and undoubtedly even better optical performance.

Anyone tried to set up an AK for these purposes? I like the AR platform for many reasons but the AK interests me due to sidefolding and 7.62x39 ballistics.

Well I skimmed the past several pages of the thread and saw the AK discussion but didn't see any setups.

My thought would be an Arsenal SLR 107 or FIME Vepr 7.62x39, then adding a Zhukov stock, ALG trigger, and some kind of sidemount rail that gives a flat picatinny top section (not sure what is best, MI, RS regulate, etc?), extended safety lever, different pistol grip, and finally a muzzle brake of some kind. Topping the pic rail would be a 1-6X scope such as a SWFA.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Well I skimmed the past several pages of the thread and saw the AK discussion but didn't see any setups.

My thought would be an Arsenal SLR 107 or FIME Vepr 7.62x39, then adding a Zhukov stock, ALG trigger, and some kind of sidemount rail that gives a flat picatinny top section (not sure what is best, MI, RS regulate, etc?), extended safety lever, different pistol grip, and finally a muzzle brake of some kind. Topping the pic rail would be a 1-6X scope such as a SWFA.
    Sounds like a nice setup. Out of curiosity, what would be your furthest shooting distance?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post

I have both an Arsenal 107 and Krebs, set up with a T1. They function fine, although are on the heavy side. The deal breaker for me is how much better almost any AR shoots, which in terms of pure accuracy, make them more satisfying to me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Sounds like a nice setup. Out of curiosity, what would be your furthest shooting distance?
    500-600 yards? Would need to shake it out and see but an AR can easily do 600 so I would be optimistic with the AK and try for at least 400-500
    Last edited by pastaslinger; 05-26-2017 at 02:27 PM.

User Tag List