Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Do-All Carbine - More Possible than ever?

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I recently got behind a new Elcan 1x/4x. I think a great do-all sight. Not much of a weight penalty. Clear picture and dot, easy switch between magnifications, etc. I could see it replacing my 30mm aimpoints

We have the latest revision of them in stock and I can give you member/LEO/mil pricing at 916.670.1103
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    Very few folks have:

1. A real world need to shoot at 600 yards.
    2. A place with a 600 yard line of sight that would allow the shot.
    3. The ability to articulate why you shot someone at 600 yards in court (assuming a self defense scenario), or an ethical reason (barring a survival situation) for shooting at game at 600 yards.
    4. The ability to hit on demand at 600 yards.

It's fun, but not very practicle for most folks.
    Practical.

The reason we are having this discussion is because everyone's needs are different.

For me, I shoot 3-gun and precision tactical matches, hunt coyotes, prairie dogs, rock chucks, and gophers, engage cardboard silhouettes at ranges from 10 to 100 yards, and once in a while I stretch the legs out to 1000. Last weekend I put 4 out of 5 on a 10" target at 675 but I hope I never have to engage someone at that distance.

99.999% of us on here will probably never use our carbine for more than fun, doesn't mean we can't build a good "all-around" setup to meet our needs.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I recently got behind a new Elcan 1x/4x. I think a great do-all sight. Not much of a weight penalty. Clear picture and dot, easy switch between magnifications, etc. I could see it replacing my 30mm aimpoints
    +1

I've had one for 8 years, and keep coming back to it as my favorite general purpose optic.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    +1

I've had one for 8 years, and keep coming back to it as my favorite general purpose optic.
    I've had a couple LPV's over the years, and for me, the big takeaway, is that i never use any magnification other than the MIN/MAX. 2x, and 3x don't do anything for me. I use 1x until I need 4x. I think this is where the Elcan really makes sense

Do-All Carbine - More Possible than ever?

I've had a couple LPV's over the years, and for me, the big takeaway, is that i never use any magnification other than the MIN/MAX. 2x, and 3x don't do anything for me. I use 1x until I need 4x. I think this is where the Elcan really makes sense
    There have been a few times where 3 or 4x was more useful to me than 6x on my FFP Mk6 1-6x. Like at last year's Findlay Cup where we had multiple movers or multiple activators in a team engagement. I needed magnification and lead offset but also needed to see more FOV than I could at full 6x.

But I agree--most of the time true 1x daylight visible red dot, or 4x does the trick.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-01-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My point is most of us have limited resources and time that might be better spent elsewhere.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Can anyone speak about the Leopold VX-6HD Mulligan 1-6? On paper, this should be seeing a lot more usage that it does. What am I missing about this optic?
    The standard green illumination is pretty weak. Leopold's red firedot is much brighter, but for whatever reason, they don't offer the red illumination as a standard option. The reticle is also a little thicker than other similar BDC reticles. There is a good comparison of the non-HD version of the scope with the Razor II in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHzvI6zu7Mo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    My concept for a "Do All" carbine is a free floated 16" AR in 5.56mm. Most of me needs would be within the 50 yard range, but realistically, 90% of my needs would be within the 300 yard range.

For years, an Aimpoint micro fulfills my optic needs very well. Then age crept up on me...

I want a variable powered optic. I can't hit what I can't see. I want the ability to identify partial targets, especially ones that may blend into the natural surroundings. For me, a 1-6 is about the right magnification. The 1-4 just seems a bit wanting on the magnification.

I want durability first and foremost. An excellent customer service department doesn't do me any good when I actually need the gun to perform. I want something durable enough that you could mount it on a duty weapon without any concerns.

I'm looking for a true 1x, or as close to a true 1x as possible.

I want an illuminated optical. One that is day light bright.

And I'd like to keep the weight down. That's the issue....

The only thing keeping me from buying a Vortex Razor HDII is the 25.9 oz weight.

The only thing keeping me from buying a Kahles 16i is the price. The price of the Razor HDII is about my top end that I'd want to spend.

If I have to live with a weight of 25 ounces, what about the Trijicon Accupower 1-8?

Can anyone speak about the Leopold VX-6HD Mulligan 1-6? On paper, this should be seeing a lot more usage that it does. What am I missing about this optic?

Any thoughts on the new Vortex Viper PSTII 1-6? It's about half the price of the Razor HDII. But do you get half the durability and performance over the Razor HDII?

I guess what I really need to ask is this, to get the level of durability and performance that I want at a price point under $1,400, am I going to have to deal with a weight of around 25 ounces, plus mount?

If I have to deal with a 25 ounce weight, which would you suggest looking at, the Razor HDII or the Trijicon Accupower 1-8?
    I had a VX-6 1-6. The eyebox and 1x were disappointing. The 1x actually seemed like it was negative magnification rather than a 1x.

I had a firedot version which is bright but for me has the worst "starburst" of any LED dot.

Thanks for the input.

What do people think about the Burris XTR2 1-5X and 1-8X?

User Tag List