Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Thread: Do-All Carbine - More Possible than ever?

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    What do people think about the Burris XTR2 1-5X and 1-8X?
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....TR-II-1-8x24mm
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Meant to say 1.5-8X my bad

This was such a great discussion, I thought I'd bump it with my latest iteration of a Do-All Carbine.

Started life as a Noveske N4 Light Recce Basic upper and Noveske Gen 1 lower (both circa 2010). Shaved the FSB in 2011, and it's now on it's forth rail. Been painted and stripped twice. It's run cases of crap steel ammo in a class (my bachelor party was a private carbine class) without a hiccup and nothing more than a shiny shell deflector to show for it. It's still more accurate than I am with it's stock Noveske CHF barrel.

Vortex Razor Gen II-E 1-6
    Badger Ordnance Recon Unimount
    Geissele SSA
    Geissele 13" Mk8 rail
    Surefire M600 Ultra Scout in Arisaka inline M-lok mount
    KAC Mk12/18 Front sight
    KAC Micro rear
    SiCo ASR flash hider
    SiCo Omega w/ 5.56 end cap
    Vickers padded BFG sling not pictured

20" AUG with a 1-6x
    Extended range terminal ballistics (for a 5.56) and close quarters maneuverability all in one package.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    Very few folks have:

1. A real world need to shoot at 600 yards.
    2. A place with a 600 yard line of sight that would allow the shot.
    3. The ability to articulate why you shot someone at 600 yards in court (assuming a self defense scenario), or an ethical reason (barring a survival situation) for shooting at game at 600 yards.
    4. The ability to hit on demand at 600 yards.

It's fun, but not very practicle for most folks.
    Maybe not in Bellingham, Washington.
    In Presidio, Texas or Columbus, New Mexico 600Y is well within the danger zone.
    Out here "line of sight" is measured in miles not yards.

We don't have any trees (or much in the way of terrain features) to get in the way of the scenery.

That's Mexico on the horizon.
    The green strip running just over the hills is an arroyo that's a popular smuggling route.
    The road I'm on is one way in, one way out for several miles parallel to the arroyo.
    It's a very, very remote area with very little "legitimate" traffic.
    Attachment 24363
    Last edited by JodyH; 03-11-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    JodyH, looking at that picture makes me consider "more" cartridge than 5.56 but I do not want to carry a 7.62 pattern rifle due to the escalating weight. I wonder if over time if 224 Valkyrie might be applicable in this role in the future as a "do all" if it proves itself.

JodyH brings up a valid point to this discussion in that your location must be factored in. If I lived where JodyH lived, I'd most likely get a reliable 7.62 pattern rifle and good glass on top of it. I'd find a way to deal with the extra weight.

I live in SW Ohio where rolling hills and wooded areas is what is to be expected once you leave an urban area. Even if I wanted the ability to reach out to 600 yards plus with a rifle, the longest range I have to practice tops out at 300 yards.

I posted a reply to this topic 9 months ago, on the previous page. My thoughts haven't changed much. I'm getting ready to pull the plug on a Nightforce NX8 and mount it on my spare Daniel Defense V7. This would be my version of a do all rifle. For my location, it works well.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 03-11-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Some friends who are very experienced folks are liking the new Bushnell SMRS 1-8.5x24mm...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

1-4 is the bare minimum that a general rifle should have now.. the new 1-8s coming to market really make it easy to have a rifle that is able to do everything you want.

For me the do it all rifle I'm putting together for my wife and me is:

-LWRC IC-A5 16.1"
    -Nightforce NX8's with Geissele super precision mounts
    -Surefire M600 Scout/dual pressure switch
    -Saker556K
    -SOPMOD stock/BCM pistol grip
    -Maybe a Geissele trigger

That whole setup keeps it relatively light. The piston gives you 100% reliable and clean operation/adjustable gas block/easy cleaning. The 16" barrel gives you pretty solid range, you can launch 77gr or 55gr through it without issues. There are already dudes competing with the LWRC's, and it's a livable setup for HD/truck gun/Ranch rifle. Everyone who has one loves it, and it's very light for a piston gun. Best balance out there. I love my MR556, but she's an SPR/MK12 replacement, not a do it all rifle because of weight (though I would do it if I had to. I love it.)

User Tag List