Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Do-All Carbine - More Possible than ever?

Continuing with alternate rifles... anyone set up a 308 carbine for this same purpose? The new light 30 cal guns seem promising aside from ammo cost

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Continuing with alternate rifles... anyone set up a 308 carbine for this same purpose? The new light 30 cal guns seem promising aside from ammo cost
    Yes and while I love it, I'd still go 5.56 if I could only have one rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Yes and while I love it, I'd still go 5.56 if I could only have one rifle.

My thought would be 7.62x39 or 308 more so depending on location eg area with dangerous, large wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Some of the newer 5.56 loads have caused my interest in a light 308 carbine to cool.

I got the SCAR because the idea of a handy battle rifle appealed to me. In practice I didn't really find a role for the gun that wasn't better served by something else. It was much more expensive to shoot and the increased power came at a cost. I decided that at close range, if I got in a shooting fight I would still send two rounds minimum just like a 5.56. Just with increased blast, recoil, weight, and expense(important now that I no longer shoot tax payer purchased ammo). My ability to make quicker hits with the 5.56 was more important. Seemed like a lot of trade offs considering the likely hood of me having to shoot through cover is almost zero.

Here's my GP carbine...can be used from 0-600yds. KAC SR-15 Mod 2 wearing a Steiner T5xi 1-5 in an Aero Precision Ultralight SPR mount. Also has a 1" Vickers sling, BCM Mod 1 grip, Surefire M300 Scout in an Arisaka Defense inline keymod mount and a BCM angled foregrip. I'm also running a Geissele Super 42 buffer/spring combo (was curious and wanted to try one out). Don't have a ton of rounds through this one yet (600ish) but I'm looking forward to shooting it more.

Name:  IMG_0004.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  103.6 KB

Also have a 16" DD with an Eotech and a 16" BCM with an Aimpoint T2 (primary home defense AR). As these optics are both un-magnified, for me they're my 0-250yd guns. DD has just under 5,000 through it and the BCM has a little over 3,500 through it.

Name:  IMG_0005.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  99.5 KB
    Last edited by MSparks909; 05-30-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Very few folks have:

1. A real world need to shoot at 600 yards.
    2. A place with a 600 yard line of sight that would allow the shot.
    3. The ability to articulate why you shot someone at 600 yards in court (assuming a self defense scenario), or an ethical reason (barring a survival situation) for shooting at game at 600 yards.
    4. The ability to hit on demand at 600 yards.

It's fun, but not very practicle for most folks.
    Last edited by MolonLabe416; 05-31-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    Very few folks have:

3. The ability to articulate why you shot someone at 600 yards in court (assuming a self defense scenario), or an ethical reason (barring a survival situation) for shooting at game at 600 yards.

I probably won't ever have a house fire but I still own a fire extinguisher and have smoke detectors. What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    Very few folks have:

I'm sure there will be those who disagree, but it's my opinion that a 5.56 AR15 has a maximum effective range of ~600 yards with good ammo. My 1-5 scope is zeroed for Black Hills 77gr.. Sierra TMKs. The SR-15 shoots true 1.25-1.5 MOA (10-shot groups). That roughly translates to a ~9" group @ 600. My criteria is B/C steel hits to 600. I like knowing I have the equipment and capability to make those shots if required. Its the variable optic that helps extend the legs of the AR past ~300 yards. I can't do 600 yard shots with my T2. I've tried and I've gotten a lucky hit once or twice but nothing I would call regular. On the contrary, I can hold for 600 in my 1-5 and bang out hits on a B/C steel every ~2-3 seconds without too much effort.
    Shoot more, post less...

I recently got behind a new Elcan 1x/4x. I think a great do-all sight. Not much of a weight penalty. Clear picture and dot, easy switch between magnifications, etc. I could see it replacing my 30mm aimpoints

My concept for a "Do All" carbine is a free floated 16" AR in 5.56mm. Most of me needs would be within the 50 yard range, but realistically, 90% of my needs would be within the 300 yard range.

For years, an Aimpoint micro fulfills my optic needs very well. Then age crept up on me...

I want a variable powered optic. I can't hit what I can't see. I want the ability to identify partial targets, especially ones that may blend into the natural surroundings. For me, a 1-6 is about the right magnification. The 1-4 just seems a bit wanting on the magnification.

I want durability first and foremost. An excellent customer service department doesn't do me any good when I actually need the gun to perform. I want something durable enough that you could mount it on a duty weapon without any concerns.

I'm looking for a true 1x, or as close to a true 1x as possible.

I want an illuminated optical. One that is day light bright.

And I'd like to keep the weight down. That's the issue....

The only thing keeping me from buying a Vortex Razor HDII is the 25.9 oz weight.

The only thing keeping me from buying a Kahles 16i is the price. The price of the Razor HDII is about my top end that I'd want to spend.

If I have to live with a weight of 25 ounces, what about the Trijicon Accupower 1-8?

Can anyone speak about the Leopold VX-6HD Mulligan 1-6? On paper, this should be seeing a lot more usage that it does. What am I missing about this optic?

Any thoughts on the new Vortex Viper PSTII 1-6? It's about half the price of the Razor HDII. But do you get half the durability and performance over the Razor HDII?

I guess what I really need to ask is this, to get the level of durability and performance that I want at a price point under $1,400, am I going to have to deal with a weight of around 25 ounces, plus mount?

If I have to deal with a 25 ounce weight, which would you suggest looking at, the Razor HDII or the Trijicon Accupower 1-8?

User Tag List