Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Do-All Carbine - More Possible than ever?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I've never cleaned under a flash hider. Just threw the barrels out every 20,000 rds. Never lost accuracy or anything else.
    The buildup problem is worse with a brake that has high pressure ports before the first "baffle".

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The buildup problem is worse with a brake that has high pressure ports before the first "baffle".
    Makes sense. I rarely use brakes, so most of my experience is with SF Flashiders or the birdcage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    So, maybe Jeff Cooper's idea of what a GP carbine should be then?..................................
    Yes, pretty close. I just keep handy whats practical for my day to day environment and use, which is more likely to be critters than anything. If I needed a long gun for another purpose, I'm guessing I can make do.
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-06-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Makes sense. I rarely use brakes, so most of my experience is with SF Flashiders or the birdcage.
    I've never seen it with A2 flash hiders. I saw this twice with perm attached brakes back during the Clinton AWB and once with a YHM Phantom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    So, maybe Jeff Cooper's idea of what a GP carbine should be then?..................................
    I think an AR in 6.8 or 6.5 with a 2 MOA Aimpoint, a magnifier and a light weight free float rail would make a great 21st century scout rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I think an AR in 6.8 or 6.5 with a 2 MOA Aimpoint, a magnifier and a light weight free float rail would make a great 21st century scout rifle.
    I use a 6.5 G for exactly that. NF 2.5-10 scope allows you to take advantage of the cartridge better than the aimpoint, since the 6.5 works great from 0-800 yards or more.

6.8 with an aimpoint would be a great 300 yard and in big game/GP rifle.

5.56 is still hard to beat for everything but big game hunting. I'd take it after deer or pronghorn, but nothing bigger. I also like that I can burn a 1000 rds through it in a weekend like nothing, and all that training translates to the 6.5 nicely.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Agreed except I would substitute a 1x4, 1x6, or 1.5x5 variable optic in place of the Aimpoint and magnifier.

If 6.5 G and 5.56 cost the same, I would have my one rifle I've been searching for all these years. Alas, the search continues.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Agreed except I would substitute a 1x4, 1x6, or 1.5x5 variable optic in place of the Aimpoint and magnifier.
    While I understand this, it boiled down to a few key facts for me.

1. My carbine is going to be most likely used to save my life within about 25 yards.
    2. My carbine's most valuable potential use is to save my life or that of a loved one.

That said, I picked the best optic for me, for 0-25 yards. That turned out to be an Aimpoint (If you like Eotech, that's great, too, lets not go there...), as I just don't think a 1-X variable can compete with Aimpoint's brightness, durability, and 1X use up close, especially in awkward or less than ideal presentations.

Then I said...

What do I enjoy doing with my rifle?

Well, I enjoy shooting things with it. Near and far. I want to hunt with it. I like punching paper. I enjoy all sorts of things. So I added a magnifier which allows me to see my hits at 100 yards, which allows me to place bullets precisely on vermin, etc.

Basically I set my rifle up for what it is most likely to be used for. Not the 0.001% chance of what it might be used for.

YMMV

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    If 6.5 G and 5.56 cost the same, I would have my one rifle I've been searching for all these years. Alas, the search continues.
    I agree but you can't beat the economics of 5.56 right now.

User Tag List