Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wind sprints and training

I tore my foot up pretty bad a few years ago while doing my pre-plan run through on a stage. Stretching is super important!
    Interested in some diet tips too, not going on a diet so much, as just tips on proper meals. I eat like crap most of the ips on proper meals. I eat like crap most of the time.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet
    Seems like a balanced discussion. I think it makes sense. One doesn't have to be OCD about it IMO.

http://www.warriordiet.com/
    I use a modified version because in it's pure sense, I'll waste away. (My wife hates me for that). My bro' on the other hand stabilized just right with it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm doing the Paleo diet now (except for Sat nights ) and have found it to be the least onerous diet to adhere to, and eating lots of lean meats/fruits/green vegetables for me is appealing.

So far, so good. Day 9.

I have to admit the hardest thing for me is the diet. There are two bloody vending machines at work, that are right on the path to the lunchroom and bathrooms. At 4am it's hard to say no to Coca Cola and chocolate bars!
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I've found that two things really pack on the flab for my Scots/Irish/English ditch diggers physique. Sugar and carbs. I found that cutting out things like all candy, soft drinks, ice cream, pizza, beer, bread helps bunches. Increasing my veggies and lean meat consumption (chicken) really helped.
    Last edited by Al T.; 09-02-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Failure to proof read.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Honestly dude, I would be extremely hesitant to be doing running sprints if I were you...that is serious joint punishment for a guy at your weight.

If you want to get your cardio going in a sprint fashion, I would be doing tabata sprints on a stationary bike if I were you: 20 seconds max intensity, 10 seconds relaxed pace, repeat x8 or until you puke, whichever comes first.

But that is pretty demanding stuff on the heart and lungs as well and I would be hesitant to recommend it to anyone who isn't already doing a fair bit of fitness stuff.

As far as diet - and we both know I have some experience here! - there really are no tips to use that will help you. It's like shooting: good technique and regular practice make you a great shooter. Tips and tricks will only refine your skills once you are playing at a high level.

As far as diet goes, you just eat healthy food, an appropriate amount, or, if you're losing weight, less than an appropriate amount. There are no shortcuts that aren't chemical in nature, and I don't buy in to any of the fad diets much either. Just eat healthy food, and that's all there is to it. It does suck at first, but after a while, it's like when you've split up with a girl with a monster rack, and then your next girl has light Bs, but a tight body overall...you learn to value food differently the same way you learn to value girls differently on the basis of what's available to you.

I would be mildly concerned, if I were in your shoes, about my lead levels once I started to burn off fat. I am unsure how lead is stored in the body, but I believe that a lot of heavy metals are retained in fat tissues. If you begin to burn off a lot of fat, I would maybe keep an eye on the lead levels in your blood. Obviously I'm not a doctor but I recall you had a lot of lead in you before they changed out the ventilation system at Abby...

Anyway the closest thing I have to a tip is this: I use caffeine as an appetite suppressant, personally - that's the chemical shortcut I believe in. It's fairly low on the side-effects scale and surprisingly effective. Naturally with your shift work you'd have to strategize about when to take it or not. But 200mg of caffeine really kills my appetite, while at the same time allowing me to push myself harder during workouts. I do know some guys who mix it with ephedrine, which is legal in Canada, for extra energy during intense workouts. I believe the appetite suppression effects are also intensified. But caffeine alone has certainly been effective for me. On the other hand, I've always been sensitive to caffeine, so I may find it more effective than others would.

Consider that I've cut about 50 pounds since whenever it was...two or three years ago. And I found that it was pretty possible to steadily drop a pound a week while improving my overall fitness level. The workouts don't really burn enough to seriously cut the weight - for that you need to eat less. But by upping my protein and cutting back on food overall, I've shed a lot of fat, and by taking on a regular, structured exercise regimen, I've definitely improved my fitness level pretty dramatically.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    I'm doing the Paleo diet now (except for Sat nights ) and have found it to be the least onerous diet to adhere to, and eating lots of lean meats/fruits/green vegetables for me is appealing.

So far, so good. Day 9.
    I've been doing this for a while as well, incorporating the 5/3/1 lifting program and some cardio conditioning Todd mentioned over on TPI.

So far I'm down 35 pounds since June. Working on being under 200 by New Years.

Watch out with paleo. its a great program, but the militant crossfitters take it a bit too far when they scold people for eating white potatos and fruit cause it(dramatic music) spikes your blood sugar. As long as you stick to things they grow out of or run around in the forest, your doing better then most.

A mainly paleo diet + lifting helped me get about 40 lbs off. Then I got lazy about it. Been hovering at 6'3/4, 285 for about a year now. Need to get back on it because it was honestly the best I've felt in ages.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I predict Rob's sprinting career is about to take off in a big way right now. Just my usual clairvoyance speaking.

I don't disagree with the idea of the paleo diet...but honestly I don't really see the point of these "systems" approaches to eating.

Everybody knows about what's healthy to eat and what isn't. If the majority of your calories are coming from vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats, and you aren't eating more than you're burning, guess what? Even if you have the occasional doughnut, you're fine.

If you are eating at mcdonalds three times a week and your idea of a salad is a bowl of ranch dressing with some nacho chips...hey man, even if you have the occasional healthy meal or walk up some flights of stairs, you're going to be spending some time in fat city.

The thing I do not like about approaches like the paleo diet is that they make healthy eating into something complicated...it's not. Don't do things that are obviously stupid, like frying your bacon burgers in butter. DO do things that are obviously un-stupid. Eat an amount that does not leave you feeling stuffed. Expect to feel hunger regularly. Eat foods that you know are healthy. Presto! Your diet is now healthy and you are probably losing weight.

User Tag List