Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wind sprints and training

wind sprints and training

So I'm a fat fucker, 6ft 300lbs. Today I decided to start young more running at practice and ended the day with 20m sprints. I set my Par time for 4 seconds and could only barely make it. First time ever trying flat out. The first 6 runs were 3 at 7 seconds and 3 at 5 seconds. Easily making that I reduced to 4 for the next 10. I probably look like a penguin trying to run, but whatever. Heart rate was pounding (no idea on actual) and shots at 25 still stayed in the 8in circle (10 shots in 6 seconds).
    So, the shooting I'm not so worried about, the sprints I'm curious about, beyond dropping pounds what sort of realistic time should I be looking at for 20m?
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

sounds like making your 4 second par time would be a good goal.
    Definitely get a heart rate monitor and figure your maxHR.
    Get a good warm up before you start and don't over do anything.

I've been into conditioning almost as long as shooting and like to work in 100-150m sprints. Interval training is outstanding. I don't think it's a great idea to a guy your size just yet. Sprinting is way more stressful to the joints and muscles. Can I talk you into walking and stationary cycling like a mutha and some resistance training with maybe the Warrior Diet or Paleo Diet to shed a lot of the excess before you tackle wind sprints?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'd suggest getting a physical before stressing yourself like that. A heart attack is a bummer.
    Start on a deliberate fitness program, THEN shoot stages at a safe pace for you--ignore the clock; finish each stage at a safe speed with good shooting scores.
    AKA Pete Sheppard
    Powder Smoke: The smell of FREEDOM!

Instead of wind sprints, try pushups. Back when I was HARD-CORE I'd mix sets of pushups in my shooting routine as negative reinforcement for bad shots. Shooting a traditional at a traditional 10 point bullseye target, a 10 or an X would be no pushups, a 9 would be 1 pushup, an 8 would be 2 pushups, etc. Over the course of a 60 shot practice session, I'd get real worn out.

Be careful with sprints -- I tweaked a hamstring this summer trying to go flat-out without really being prepared for it. I was in good hiking shape, but sprinting is different.

A heart-rate monitor is a good idea. Simple ones start at $60 or so.

Don't try to go hard and fast without building a base. Walking is a fine way to start building a base. Here's what our state says about training for wildland firefighting:

"For the Pack Test, begin by hiking a 3-mile flat course without a pack. When you can cover the course in less than 45 minutes, add a pack with about 25 pounds. Increase the weight until you can hike 3 miles in 45 minutes while carrying 45 pounds.

Also, hike hills with a pack to build leg strength and endurance. Jog the flat course without a pack to build aerobic fitness. Do over-distance training for stamina, and cross-train with mountain biking and weights to build endurance and strength.

Personal health, physical fitness, and work capacity all work towards making conditions safer for all firefighters and the people they protect."

I walk a ton at work. Up and down 9 stories of stairs multiple times a day, run them occasionally as well. The wind sprints are a realistic test as at most matches I'll encounter at least 2 stages with at least 10 yds between positions. The one area I need to improve on at matches is getting from spot to spot. I'm currently ranked #2 in Canada as GM in Production Division, so not a new shooter that needs to pace myself.
    I am definitely interested in adding things to my practice sessions, but I have very limited time due to working 12hr shifts at work, and trying to have some sort of life.
    Last edited by JV_; 08-31-2011 at 02:17 PM.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I apologize for my assumption -- your self-description in your OP had me imagining something else....

Don't forget warmup and stretching. Feeling my hamstring go in mid-stride was not fun.

Slavex, I'm relieved to read that you are basically fit. Hopefully, you will be able to shed the burden of excess weight. That by itself will improve your performance. In the short term, regular stretching will help improve flexibility and avoid injury.
    AKA Pete Sheppard
    Powder Smoke: The smell of FREEDOM!

hamstrings

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I apologize for my assumption -- your self-description in your OP had me imagining something else....

Don't forget warmup and stretching. Feeling my hamstring go in mid-stride was not fun.
    I concur - watch one of my training buddys (dark tshirt) get a hamstring cramp, fast fwd to the 5:30 mark
    NOTE : AUDIO may not be safe for work

User Tag List