Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Roll call stories.

Here's one from my PD days:

The chief created an admin sergeant spot. The theory was that this position would be a rotating position among the sergeants on an annual basis with the idea being that when we went back to the operational side of the house that we would take the knowledge from the admin position with us. The theory actually worked.

Now for the story:

The chief gets a new boss. That boss actually took an interest in our well being and respected our work. He was legitimately a good man. It was magical. The chief who was always good at turning a nickel into a dime was now able to swing for the fences. Anyway, the new guy notices that we spent a lot of time on our feet and inquires as to our foot wear. When told that we all bought our own, the new boss expressed concern that some officers probably skimped on this. He told the chief to buy us all quality boots and that the money would be there. Like I said, magical.

The chief shops around with the uniform suppliers and strikes a deal on boots. Note: there was officer input on the boot selection.

The chief comes to me and tells me to handle the boot order. I figure it would be easy. The guys all go by the uniform store, try on the boots, put their size and preferred style on a list (there were two options). The shop would order the boots. I'd pick them up and then distribute them among the shifts. Simple.

What happened was a learning experience for me. Some guys wouldn't go to the shop until specifically ordered to do so. Some griped that money was being spent on boots instead of some other piece of equipment they wanted. There was a myriad of other things. The only legit issue was one guy who had feet so wide that the chosen boot wouldn't fit, and he was authorized to get a different boot.

I was dumfounded. Free boots led to drama. Guys complained and resisted someone buying them boots. Nice boots.

You can stand on a street corner handing out ice cream cones to every passerby, and somebody is going to get pissed because you aren't giving out pie instead of ice cream.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Good story Lee! The only thing less appreciative than a cop is two cops.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Good story Lee! The only thing less appreciative than a cop is two cops.

An officer with a nearby agency was in a chase at night. The suspect crashed. The officer ran up to the crashed car and ran right into a bullet. DRT.

A concerned citizen worried about our folks working in the darkness calls me and asked for the total number of sworn deputies. Concerned citizen says, "Maybe if that officer had a good flashlight he would still be alive." Two weeks later, Surefire flashlights and belt holsters for them arrive. I issue them out with a stern warning that much sadness will befall anyone I catch without the light on their duty belt.

The Captain later comes to me and says some of the guys want to know who is going to buy batteries for the lights. I told him to tell anyone wanting to know the answer to the question to come see me.

To date, not one has ventured to inquire.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

LE Forum Moderator BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Ok, one more.

I had a whacker breaking into lady's apartments and stealing their underwear. He'd take beer and undies and nothing else. He'd also peep and whack at the window. He always hit one of two apartment complexes near the county line, and he always hit the apartments of attractive single women, so I knew he had to be local and had to be casing the apartments. I figured he was on the progression to a home invasion rape if he stayed free and I made it my mission to catch him. The descriptions were pretty generic hispanic male, short to average height and average weight, etc. etc. I put up fliers in the apartment office and went door to door with my own little "see something, say something" campaign. People often won't call on suspicious activity because they rationalize it and don't want to look foolish if they are wrong. I figured with a direct request to call people would be more observant and more likely to call.

It worked.

A 911 came in from the upstairs neighbor of an attractive single lady. She said a cop had told her to call if she saw a guy acting oddly and looking in windows. The call came out, the response was well coordinated, and the mouse-with-a-parachute sees the guy with his junk in his hand whacking at the window. The creep finishes up on the glass just before Ptl. Mouse sees everyone is set up and announces. Creep runs, creep gets Terry Tate'd at the corner by a hulk of an officer we'll call Ptl. Tate. Creep goes to jail for burglaries, indecent exposure, etc. I don't even have to do any paperwork. You know why?

Because when the call came out I was stuck at a freaking Wal-mart on a shoplifter and my beat partners got the collar I'd worked my ass off to make happen. I didn't even get to see the Terry Tate. I did, however, get to watch the ET's face when he was told he needed to collect frozen semen from a window.... So, yeah.

Good job dude and even better job dodging semen detail!

I started at my current department when I was 31. I'd had five years with a smaller neighboring agency, so I had a leg-up on the other rookies. I worked with some really decent guys on night shift who were 22 friggin' years old. Greg was one of them. He's a really decent farm kid who has zero sympathy for bad guys or anyone else who creates their own muck. I get called to a man who'd been struck by a vehicle at 0200 in the middle of a busy street. I arrived and there was no one else there but me and the guy. He hadn't been hit by a car. He was just drunk and passed out on the double yellow line. He'd yacked all over himself. I gave him a good sternum rub and he didn't react. The EMT's showed up right when Greg did. Through all of the lights, sirens, IV's and all the other distractions, Greg says to me in a whisper, "that's one pathetic sack of shit." Drunk dude sits straight up, looks angrily at ME and tells me I can't talk about him like that. Greg started laughing hysterically. Drunk dude yelled at me to stop laughing at him, because it wasn't funny. That didn't help. Greg continued to laugh and said something about "double vision." Somehow, this recently nearly-comatose tool was able to read my name tag and badge number and recite it back to me. Of course, when I got called to the sergeant's office via radio a few hours later, Greg did the right thing. He called me on his way in, saying he knew he was in trouble but the laugh therapy was worth whatever was coming.

We have one of the highest per capita rates of people with mental health problems in the nation, the reason being that we used to be home to the state mental hospital, Menninger Clinic (a VERY big deal back in the day), and several other private mental hospitals. Smaller departments with problems would transport people here, those people would often stay in town.
    Lots of stories ref EDPs to talk about.

I'm wore out today, so a short look into how messed up people can be, more later;

Show up on a call to back my guys, ref hooker chasing a john around with a knife. She is a very angry crackhead with a history of stabbing people, and getting stabbed. She is angry with the john, says he's the dude that gave her herpes. She says he gave her herpes in her colostomy hole.

I'll let that one sink in for awhile.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 05-31-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

This article was a result of some of my experiences on the job;
    http://www.thetacticalwire.com/featu...featureID=3593
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Show up on a call to back my guys, ref hooker chasing a john around with a knife. She is a very angry crackhead with a history of stabbing people, and getting stabbed. She is angry with the john, says he's the dude that gave her herpes. She says he gave her herpes in her colostomy hole.

I'll let that one sink in for awhile.
    The medical terminology is, "gettin a little sidepocket."

Trivial Matter Expert Sidheshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

...I'll let that one sink in for awhile.
    That's different. Can't wait to see how this thread develops; absolutely killer idea.

User Tag List