Page 115 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1168

Thread: Roll call stories.

Site Supporter
    I hadn't thought about that Gripton Handler in years. I do confess to looking at Orcutt Police Nunchakus when I was relevant, but decided not to fight that battle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I hadn't thought about that Gripton Handler in years. I do confess to looking at Orcutt Police Nunchakus when I was relevant, but decided not to fight that battle.
    I really, really like mine. No more support, though.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    One of the things Vince stressed was during the "high profile openings" i.e. swinging the baton to open it in a spectacular manner, that you swing the baton down in front of you. His reasoning was solid. By opening the baton in front of you there is more control. Expanding the baton with an upward stroke over your shoulder looks cool but you don't know who is standing within that arc. A down and rear opening also exposes others to danger if someone is too close to your 4 o'clock. If you lose your grip and toss your baton or have a catistrophic failure the baton and/or its peices land in front of you on the ground rather than sailing into someone somewhere else.

So when opening your baton as a show of force, the downward stroke in front of you might just be the safest, best option, if less spectacular than the others.

pat
    I did that very thing in an ER wearing winter gloves. I promptly bought one of these:

https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/...e-cap-f-series

In my reserve academy we had a dude who was an instructor for the Handler 12. The demos he did were impressive, particularly being on the receiving end.
    (Formerly known as Sotex.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

In my reserve academy we had a dude who was an instructor for the Handler 12. The demos he did were impressive, particularly being on the receiving end.
    The master key concept was a powerful thing.....

pat

I write very very few traffic tickets these days. I've written maybe 4-5 this year and all are for blatantly running red lights. Not sorta-made-it but like other traffic is moving and they blow through it. A guy in a 3/4 ton truck would have smoked me had I not noticed he wasn't slowing down after my turn arrow turned green. He was probably speeding as well but blew through the light. I u-turned and turned my lights on and then immediately noticed another set of lights behind me. Another cop, who turned out to be an officer I used to work with about three assignments ago, had been in another northbound lane and saw the truck blow past him and run the light as well.

I gave my standard spiel "Hello, I'm Sgt. BBI with XXPD and the reason I stopped you today is you ran the red light at (intersection). *off script a bit* Had I not been paying attention you would have hit me as I entered the intersection. *back on script* Is there any reason for that? He told me he was on the phone with his boss and when he looked back up he was already through the intersection.
    I don't know if this is considering irony or not, but the truck had a specialized license plate like this:

Ticket issued.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 11-24-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typo was bothering me
    Interested in a PF hat? Take the survey here: https://forms.gle/1E7ihN776ve3NY957

Maybe with talented students I would lube up with baby oil and then go at it.

One of my duties as a field sergeant is making a recommendation for retention or termination as a rookie draws near the end of their probationary period. I've seen a rookie fired the day before they got off probation, so while my decision is far from final (as ultimately it's up to the chief) it is also not just a rubber stamp and a recommendation for termination does start the ball rolling.

I've got a rookie who worked for child services for years before becoming an officer. She's got experience with child death investigations, interviews, etc. from that time and it shows. I pushed to give her her own beat very early, much earlier then I normally would, because she's a damned poster child for beat oriented policing. She gets to know people, she gets to know problems, she gains trust, and she works on the problems. I saw no reason to have her as a cover car or ignore her prior experience, even in non-sworn. She has consistently displayed excellent judgement in arrest decisions, pursuit decisions, and to top it all off she's actually pretty decent with a resister. She got punched in the face pulling a fleeing burglar off a fence, took it like a champ, and got business handled.

So, in short, she got a retain recommendation from me this week. I'll be surprised if Child Abuse or Sex Crimes don't try to vacuum her in to a detective spot as soon as she hits 3 years. I'm sure she'll be great at whatever role she has on the department. I've never been as impressed by a rookie. If I do get promoted and reassigned, if I can poach anyone she's on the short list.
    Interested in a PF hat? Take the survey here: https://forms.gle/1E7ihN776ve3NY957

Maybe with talented students I would lube up with baby oil and then go at it.

Lives to Enable Revolvers Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    One of my duties as a field sergeant is making a recommendation for retention or termination as a rookie draws near the end of their probationary period. I've seen a rookie fired the day before they got off probation, so while my decision is far from final (as ultimately it's up to the chief) it is also not just a rubber stamp and a recommendation for termination does start the ball rolling.

I've got a rookie who worked for child services for years before becoming an officer. She's got experience with child death investigations, interviews, etc. from that time and it shows. I pushed to give her her own beat very early, much earlier then I normally would, because she's a damned poster child for beat oriented policing. She gets to know people, she gets to know problems, she gains trust, and she works on the problems. I saw no reason to have her as a cover car or ignore her prior experience, even in non-sworn. She has consistently displayed excellent judgement in arrest decisions, pursuit decisions, and to top it all off she's actually pretty decent with a resister. She got punched in the face pulling a fleeing burglar off a fence, took it like a champ, and got business handled.

So, in short, she got a retain recommendation from me this week. I'll be surprised if Child Abuse or Sex Crimes don't try to vacuum her in to a detective spot as soon as she hits 3 years. I'm sure she'll be great at whatever role she has on the department. I've never been as impressed by a rookie. If I do get promoted and reassigned, if I can poach anyone she's on the short list.
    I live for these stories.

The question that I have is whether your rookie become a cop because she wanted to get away from CPS cases, or did she become a cop so that she could work those cases with the added authority of being a sworn officer? If it's the former, snatching her up for child abuse cases might work to motivate her to move along to another department and it sounds as though she's not a cop that you want to lose.
    I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. - Vir Cotto

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I live for these stories.
    Stephanie, not sure if you live for these stories in general or because this puts a female officer in a good light. (And I don't mean that in a prejudicial way, I mean it as I'm not sure which brings you more pleasure.)

If the latter, let me happily add that in my year twenty plus years in LE, one of the best partners I ever had, in a HIDTA group, was a female special agent I named "Honey West" because of her blond hair and "can-do" attitude. She was self-effacing, brilliant, and more than capable. When she worked in New Orleans she gave a couple of bad guys the dirt nap they were seeking.

She's one of the handful I miss. You'd have liked her immensely.
    Vote...to protect our Constitution and the Bill of Rights

Lives to Enable Revolvers Stephanie B's Avatar
    I like the stories in general. You're an excellent writer. if you're not compiling stuff for your retirement project....

"HIDTA"?
    I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. - Vir Cotto

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I like the stories in general. You're an excellent writer. if you're not compiling stuff for your retirement project....

"HIDTA"?
    High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area.

It is essentially a task force composed of federal, state and local LE agencies working in a coordinated effort. There are various HIDTA groups with different makeup depending on the particular niche they are responsible for investigating and interdicting.

Thanks for the kind words...no plans for anything more than some posts here on the forum.
    Vote...to protect our Constitution and the Bill of Rights

User Tag List