Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LaserLyte training round

Site Supporter
    If I go the SIRT route, do I need a gun specific model? Do they make various models? The only thing I've found in a quick Google search is based on the Glock 17. One of the things I'm going to need to incorporate in my training is the thumb safety. That needs to be part of my draw. I'm afraid that otherwise, I may one day have a very good sight picture on the guy who kills me while I jerk on a safed trigger.

The Laser Cartridge also works as a snap cap as well.
    If you just want a snap cap just remove the batteries.

I had rather use my everyday pistol that always has the same feel , trigger pull and etc. for dry firing practice than a SIRT.

I have one of the 9mm rounds that I used for dry fire training. Bought it along with a pair of the reaction time target at a discount. They work great, but you need to remember that they are just a simple bore sight and not a very accurate one (atleast mine aye different POI with different guns). My primary use for them has been when working on a timer to develop draw stroke, press outs... that sort of thing. The targets have a visible blink and audible beep when struck. So I basically created a scaled down IDPA target with a cut out in it. You can make the cut out whatever size you want (based on how close to POA your bullet happens to be). Present the gun an fire. No looking at the target to see the hit; just listening to the beep-beep as a hit confirmation. If I'm focusing on the sights as I should be seeing the hit is pretty hard. So I also know if I screwed up my focal plane. When I'm working on trigger manipulation I just use a bare wall and focus hard in the front sight and watching the wiggle or lack there of. Also use a zero target that has an "V" in the middle. Sights line up with the tip of the V and again, focus on the front sight and insure it doesn't move.

The laser is fun and adds a different dimension, but it's far from a must have.

The Laser cartridge serves another use with trigger press or grip.
    Watch the dot when you fire and try to just get a round dot. If you get a dot with a trace tail you are moving the pistol as you shoot.

Site Supporter
    I just want to say thanks for the input. I'm glad a came here before buying. Reading what you guys posted and thinking about it has convinced me the money would be better spent on ammo. I'll get some snapcaps for my 9mm and use them for dry fire.
    Last edited by Bigguy; 06-03-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
    The Laser cartridge serves another use with trigger press or grip.
    Watch the dot when you fire and try to just get a round dot. If you get a dot with a trace tail you are moving the pistol as you shoot.
    I found this to be very helpful. When I practice with mine, I expect to not see the dot - if I do it is generally because I yanked the trigger, moved the gun or did not have my sights aligned - general "miss" kind of stuff. The POI comment above also plays into it with one of my guns. (an XDs 9mm where the chamber seems a lot more "snug"...)

I also use mine occasionally with the free ShootOFF software which records my hits on target via a webcam. That helps me avoid the temptation to look for the dot ;-)
    "A man's character is his fate."

User Tag List