Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3x5 card drill with TDA - decock or change magazines for atlernating DA/SA?

3x5 card drill with TDA - decock or change magazines for atlernating DA/SA?

I have been wanting to work on my fundamentals as a new shooter and saw this drill recommended on the site.

I was using a TDA gun and shooting the first shot DA, with the subsequent 5 shots taken in SA, but realized that I should have been alternating DA/SA for the 6 shots. Would you recommend I decock the hammer or just load 2 rounds into the magazine at a time? I should mention that my gun has a safety instead of a decocker. Would there be additional benefits of doing it one way instead of the other?

Thanks!

What TDA gun are you shooting that has a safety, but no decocker?

If shooting a traditional DA/SA gun, then decock.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    What TDA gun are you shooting that has a safety, but no decocker?

If shooting a traditional DA/SA gun, then decock.
    Could be a CZ?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Could be a CZ?
    Or Beretta.

Unless you want to practice reloads, I'd just decock.

Site Supporter
    I am trying to become proficient with a CZ P09. I have been practicing on a plate rack with first shot DA, second shot SA. Decock and repeat.

Thanks for the feedback. And 125 is correct, shooting a CZ 75. Was probably overthinking things but will be intentional to work the DA/SA transition harder as opposed to shooting the easier SA for most of my shots.

I don't know much about CZs, can you switch your 75 to a decocker rather than a safety?

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Would you recommend I decock the hammer or just load 2 rounds into the magazine at a time?
    Would there be additional benefits of doing it one way instead of the other?
    I'd decock (and did when I was using a DA/SA decocker/safety). With the CZ I'd do a "hard break" and ingrain a very disciplined thumb decocking method so that if I ever had to decock in a more urgent situation I'd have built up good habits for a safe decock.

Also doing DA, SA, decock and sometimes adding in an extra round or three of SA would be a good way to keep yourself from getting too locked into a DA, SA, decock lockstep.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I don't know much about CZs, can you switch your 75 to a decocker rather than a safety?
    P07 and P09 can. Pre-omega Cz75b cannot. Not sure on the omega ones.

Ok, I don't know anything about CZs, but without a decock function, it sounds like the original poster's configuration is meant to be carried cocked and locked, so there's no point practicing DA shots.

User Tag List