Thread: Waiting in Kuwait, Between Home and War

Waiting in Kuwait, Between Home and War

THIS is a pretty good read, esp if you've been thru Kuwait to various destinations in the GWOT. Amman and Dubai are much nicer stops.

Really good read!
    I traveled through Manas (sp?) on trip one to Afghanistan. Through that base all four times in and out of country for that deployment. It was very grey, very former soviet block country.
    I went through Kuwait with my unit heading into Iraq then three times by myself in '09. That place just feels like somewhere you get stuck. It's an interesting experience navigating through that mess alone.

He captured the feel of Kuwait perfectly. Hated every minute there. I hate BAF too. They're both purgatory.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    He captured the feel of Kuwait perfectly. Hated every minute there. I hate BAF too. They're both purgatory.
    You said it, brother. I hated the few days I was on BAF worse than Kuwait, though.

Brutal!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    You said it, brother. I hated the few days I was on BAF worse than Kuwait, though.
    I got stuck in BAF on the way back from leave. 10 days if I remember correctly. I was a PLT SGT at the time and was extremely pissed that I couldn't get back to my guys.

On our way into country I stayed behind to make sure every last dude in the company made it onto a flight. We ended up getting bumped to space A because the main body had already left. We spent 72 hours straight in that god awful terminal, and the USO down the street, trying to catch a flight out.

Kuwait is a different kind of suck because of the heat and dust storms. I went through the place this guy is talking about going and coming back from leave in 2010. I mostly holed up in my assigned little transient tent to stay out of the heat and sand.

Last I knew they were supposed to shut down Arif John. I only went through there one time. It was weird. Fobit city.

Arifjan sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by TORCH2J View Post
    Arifjan sucked.
    As does my recollection of how to spell Arifjan.

Baghram wasn't too terrible a place to live (in 2006) but I can imagine it really sucked just passing through.

Kuwaits not bad. There is always stuff happening down at the Marina Mall, with lots of decent places to eat. Further up the coast is a great Argentinian steak house. While spendy, its a great place to get a good cut of beef. The drivers however are freaking horrible and you have to drive like mad max sometimes. I've spent layovers, or weeks waiting to jump in, in much much worse places. Like Amman...

User Tag List