Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought an M&P9...

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Or you can just look at the date on the fired casing bag, it's probably close to the production date.
    Of course I'd overlook the obvious.

I did a T&E on a .40 model when they first hit the market, and I didn't like the muzzle flip and lack of distinctive reset. I recently wound up with a .45 version and installed an Apex sear. That sear makes all the difference the world. I am still firmly a GLOCK guy, but I wanted a polymer ACP model pistol that fit my hand to use in IDPA.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlweems View Post
    I did a T&E on a .40 model when they first hit the market, and I didn't like the muzzle flip and lack of distinctive reset. I recently wound up with a .45 version and installed an Apex sear. That sear makes all the difference the world. I am still firmly a GLOCK guy, but I wanted a polymer ACP model pistol that fit my hand to use in IDPA.
    did your .45 version have the Apex sear in it when I shot it at our last get-together?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    did your .45 version have the Apex sear in it when I shot it at our last get-together?
    Yes.

Definitely go with Apex trigger upgrade. Installed a DCAEK and Ram in my 9L and was amazed at the improvement. Under 4 pounds with factory trigger spring. Smooth takeup and positive reset. Better than the Vanek trigger in my G34.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Thanks for the tips on the trigger kits!

I've been checking out Apex's page, and I may order from them, but I'm going to run the gun stock for a bit before I go screwing with anything, in order to make sure that the stuff I screw with needed to be screwed.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    but I'm going to run the gun stock for a bit before I go screwing with anything, in order to make sure that the stuff I screw with needed to be screwed.
    Very good plan!

Tam;

Said the same thing myself 14 months ago when I got my M&P45. Ran it stock for over a year. Having come from a Revolver & TDA auto background I didn't feel the trigger was sub optimal. Got some extra money for my birthday in June and on a who-ha tried the Apex DAEK. It was an eye opening experience. Love the action now. So don't hesitate when you feel the time is right. They don't call them APEX goodies for nothing.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

A M&P with thumb safety and Apex DCAEK is about as close as you can get to the feel of a 1911 within the package of a modern polymer pistol.
    I didn't know they made a two-tone M&P. From Googling, apparently Cabela's had a limited run of them, plus a lot of bubbas doing it themselves.

Maybe it's just me but I prefer the S&W Performance Center sear to the APEX variant. It seems "more crisp" with less take up.

Another thing that makes the M&P very nice is the Massachussetts-compliant trigger return spring. It makes the pistol the functional equivalent of a GLOCK with a NY1 and 4.5 lb connector.

Addendum: With the MA-compliant spring the take up now is weighted (maybe 3.5#) with a trigger pull that doesn't appear to be any different; it's "very carry friendly".

Congrats on the nice kit.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 09-02-2011 at 08:54 PM.

User Tag List