Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Bought an M&P9...

For the longest time I thought it was me. I bought a used G17 Gen4 and immediately shot a 1 7/8" group at 25 yards with the Glock. It wasn't me. Sadly, yesterday I ... sold my M&P's. (With full disclosure by the way.)
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In the beginning, before I realized how poorly most every M&P 9 shoots at 25 yards, I would shoot a P30, G17 and even a G26 immediately after getting the kind of pattern you did with my M&P 9's, to be certain it wasn't me. After doing that a few times, and getting 2-4 inch groups at 25 with the control pistols, and a pattern spread across the target with the M&P's, I figured out it wasn't me.
    Weird, as I'm easily shooting my tightest groups with my new (to me) M&P9FS. Bought it used with Trijicon sights and RAM installed. Shoots more softly than the P2000sk and P30 I had been running. Points more naturally, and if feels good/great in hand.

Have you shot groups with it at 25 yards, and with several types of ammo? If you have, and it shoots a number of loads under 4 inches, to about the same point of impact, you should be very pleased (and probably buy a lottery ticket too, as you are very lucky).

Site Supporter
    I shot my Dad's M&P9 over this last week with Warren Tactical Sights and an Apex DCAEK, it was fairly accurate for me.

The front sight post fell off of his M&P9 Compact, but, I remember it grouping somewhat accurately (he was having sight drift issues... and then they just decided to fall off)

I think the Full Size was his most accurate gun.

We used 9mm M&P's at the academy, they sucked big time. Not just for me, but for many others in the class. One of my favorite malfunctions that I experienced personally was when you did a speed reload about half the time the slide would release without hitting the slide release. Normally this wouldn't bother me much but in this gun's case EVERY time this occurred it resulted in a FTF. 2 or 3 others out of around 50 shooters experienced the same problem. Accuracy sucked, at the 25 yard qual on B21E targets it took everything I had to keep (barely) rounds inside the 5 point "bottle". Switched guns with the guy next to me and shot a nice 3-4'' group at the same distance. It wasn't an unusual sight to look down the line and see people trying to clear FTF's. These guns didn't lack for maintenance either. All that put me off of them, but I'm glad to see they are working great for a lot of people.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Peart View Post
    It wasn't an unusual sight to look down the line and see people trying to clear FTF's. These guns didn't lack for maintenance either. All that put me off of them, but I'm glad to see they are working great for a lot of people.
    Huh. Complaints about accuracy out past 10-15 yards you hear all the time, but you don't often hear beefs with reliability.

FWIW, mine auto-forwards, too, if you jack a full mag in there with any force, but so did all my Glock 23's (and my Glock 29 if you used a G20 mag...) It hasn't caused any malfs for me.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    FWIW, mine auto-forwards, too, if you jack a full mag in there with any force, but so did all my Glock 23's (and my Glock 29 if you used a G20 mag...) It hasn't caused any malfs for me.
    Hell, I can make mine auto-forward with no mag and a sharp enough slap on the butt of the gun. Never bothered me since I came from shooting a USP and breathing on the slide release of that thing would send the slide home.

If anything, I have more issues with the once in a blue moon when I don't quite preload the release enough and it takes me about a quarter of a second to process it and apply a little bit of extra pressure to release it.

My P30's would auto forward almost every time i inserted a mag. Never caused a malf though. My Glock's never auto forwarded.

Site Supporter
    Happens with my M&P9 about 25% of the time, never caused a malfunction. I view it as taking an additional step off the reload, never bothered me.

User Tag List