Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can You Recommend a Decent Chest Rig (Made in US)???

Can You Recommend a Decent Chest Rig (Made in US)???

Need to pick one up for a carbine class. Would like to hold 8 mags and would prefer to spend less than $100. It's not something I will get a lot of use out of.

Tactical Tailor MAV or Mini-MAV. The MAV will fit 6 AR mags across the front, the Mini has space for 4. Best thing about these is they're cut high and forward enough that they won't interfere with reholstering your pistol on a belt holster.

Site Supporter
    May I counter. If you are not typically going to be out in the world with a chest rig and you already have thousands of reps going to the belt line for a reload, how about putting
    carbine mag pouches along you belt line? With a dump pouch and cargo pants, you would always be able to have 2 or 3 mags ready to go and would be much faster getting the rifle back up and running. I used this approach with great success in an 08 Rogers carbine class. YMMV greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    May I counter. If you are not typically going to be out in the world with a chest rig and you already have thousands of reps going to the belt line for a reload, how about putting
    carbine mag pouches along you belt line? With a dump pouch and cargo pants, you would always be able to have 2 or 3 mags ready to go and would be much faster getting the rifle back up and running. I used this approach with great success in an 08 Rogers carbine class. YMMV greatly.
    I can second that.

Speaking as Joe Average, I don't have a need to roll around looking like an advertisement from a gun catalog. I went through a class with a dump pouch and a couple of HSGI Tacos on those Raven moduloader things and that worked well for me. I did three on the belt + a dump pouch, with spares in my back pocket or cargo pocket as required (used those to feed the pouches).

Check out SKD Tactical for the Rack-Minus.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

What VDC siad is a valid thought process.

That said, if you want a chest rig regardless, you might find eight mags a bit too much. I'd look that the Ten Speed set-up for something lightweight and rather on the cheap side that's still quality and useful for this role
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I hate stuff on my waist. The HSP d3 chest rig works great for what it is. holds 4 mags and enough space to carry an ifak om your body and becomes compact easily.

Using a chest rig for training and using a belt pouch for reloads are not mutually exclusive.

Use the chest rig to back-feed the belt pouch(ez). Beats the crap out of jamming mags all over ones body in dump pouches and pants pockets.

8 mags is a lot to carry on the chest. What's driving that number?

I'll second what Chuck said, which is seconding what VDC said.

Site Supporter
    I don't have a Tactical Taylor chest rig but a few of their other products that I am really happy with.

In Fall, I ran through Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle reloading out of my back pockets. Not many drills run through 100 rounds. Three mags did me just fine.

If you are taking a class with quals and time tests I can totally see getting more set-up. I'll never fight with a chest rig, naked maybe but never a chest rig.

Cookie Monster

User Tag List