Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB Holster Design Input

AIWB Holster Design Input

I have been working with 2 P-F.com members to work up an AIWB holster design, both of which have given me some pretty decent input.

Is there any feature out there not seen in an AWIB holster that people would like to see? I am close to an AIWB design that I think could be useful from AIWB out to 2:00 or so, IWB, and maintain some usefulness OWB as well. Thoughts?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I'm one of the guilty parties, I was looking for something that would be easy off/on and a little more slim lined.

I'm 6'2 255lbs with a 40" waist, I have been running a Shaggy for a P30LS. My only complaint for "me" has been since I'm a little rotund then some, the mounting hardware always printed and looked like a old school block pager attached to my belt. No one has ever asked about the bulge but to rest my own mind I wanted to see if there was something else. I tried the kydex loop and pull dot loops with the Shaggy and still did not find what I was looking for. In no way do I hate or dislike or much less discourage the use of the Shaggy design, just us bigger guys don't have shirts that hang the same as you gastly slim blow around in the wind guys

So I ordered a new holster from Tom and requested a IWB/OWB convertible holster that I could then play with and modify to work for me. I threw a few styles of retainers on it and modified them to suit me.

Here are a few pics of how I carry it now and got away from the block print on the belt line.

Belt: Jones Tactical EDC Cobra Belt
    Gun: HK P30

Last edited by JM Campbell; 08-29-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: pic update

Site Supporter
    These are features I find useful for an AIWB holster. They are in not particular order.

-A wide, solid belt loop, this keeps the holster stable and oriented in exactly the same way for every draw (a pair of snap loops work almost as well as the solid loop);
    -As little material under the muzzle as possible;
    -Some method of pulling the grip inwards;
    -Enough ride height, and no more, to allow for a full grip while the pistol is in the holster, this is a little tricky as finger size will alter how much height is needed;
    -An abbreviated shirt guard that does not interfere with getting a full firing grip and allows the pistol to be placed backwards in the holster for WHO manipulations; and
    -Some type of backing to prevent heat transfer with a really hot pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    These are features I find useful for an AIWB holster. They are in not particular order.

-A wide, solid belt loop, this keeps the holster stable and oriented in exactly the same way for every draw (a pair of snap loops work almost as well as the solid loop);
    -As little material under the muzzle as possible;
    -Some method of pulling the grip inwards;
    -Enough ride height, and no more, to allow for a full grip while the pistol is in the holster, this is a little tricky as finger size will alter how much height is needed;

-An abbreviated shirt guard that does not interfere with getting a full firing grip and allows the pistol to be placed backwards in the holster for WHO manipulations; and
    -Some type of backing to prevent heat transfer with a really hot pistol.
    All of the above is a very good summary; what I put in bold I think is of utmost importance. I think the biggest difference between dedicated AIWB rigs and just a straight drop holster is the ability to tuck in the grip. As far as the height ride, I think that the first maker who'd come up with user-adjustable height for AIWB will take a lot of market share.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    All of the above is a very good summary; what I put in bold I think is of utmost importance. I think the biggest difference between dedicated AIWB rigs and just a straight drop holster is the ability to tuck in the grip. As far as the height ride, I think that the first maker who'd come up with user-adjustable height for AIWB will take a lot of market share.
    I think I have some of that with what Skyline has, and ironically it started more as an OWB that has less meat on it with hopes of moving closer to the centerline.

But adjustable height is desirable, not a problem.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post

But adjustable height is desirable, not a problem.
    I have owned three AIWB holsters; currently have two. The one that I don't own was returned to the maker [i.e. lost business for him] because of height ride and inability to fix it.
    Of two that remain, one had to have ride adjusted after I put CT laser grips on that pistol. Just few mm of plastic on frontstrap were enough to affect the draw. Luckily, the design allowed for height adjustment, albeit not user-adjustable.
    Then there is an aspect of "pant-dependency" with AIWB that quite a few people notice. Slight change of how belt loops are sewn into the waist line can affect things. I really think that adjustable height has got to be a part of design; if not, I'd err on the side of higher ride, especially with bigger guns.

P.S. While pics may not always reflect actual state of things, the one above to me looks like too low of a height ride.
    Last edited by YVK; 08-29-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: P.S added.

There is a very fine line between being too high and canting the butt of the pistol outward and too low and not being able to get the correct grip on the gun. Some folks don't mind flipping the gun up into a correct firing grip with their fingers but personally I would rather that happen while the pistol is still in the holster. Drawing from concealment has enough issues without adding the difficulty of not being able to attain a full grip on the gun.

So, adjustable height as well as some way to push the butt of the gun into the body IMHO are among the most important attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    P.S. While pics may not always reflect actual state of things, the one above to me looks like too low of a height ride.
    Correct, those where taken while adjusting, it now sits higher where for me gives a great grip. As I also said before this is my modding of a OWB/IWB convertible holster to suit my needs. If Tom can tweak it and make it better I'll be the first in line to buy another one and make my original a dedicated OWB holster to ride closer to the center line like it was originally designed.

@skyline1

Do you have photos of the shaggy and the P30LS? Curious as I have one on order. Also, where did get the curent one pictured and does it fit the P30L? Thanks.

I'm currently carrying a G34 in a shaggy and am very happy with it. I'd love to see something as comfortable and concealable that's also tuckable. I have some ideas on this and may play around with it myself although I am not and don't want to be a holstermaker.

A feature that's important to me is a wide belt loop that I can change out myself. I'll make a loop that matches my belt or one that splits a belt loop if necessary and I like the ability to do that.

User Tag List