Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Live fire training program help

Live fire training program help

Presently I have about 2-3 hours available/one range trip a week for live fire practice. My ammo budget allows for between 100-200 rds each week. My goal is to exceed in USPSA and eventually become a GM. In your opinion, what is the best use of my time at a static range?

Should I focus on only one drill each session?

Buy the Ben Stoeger books and DVDs and do what they outline.

I would also figure out the things you suck at the most and work on improving them. If you think you have a good draw but your reloads suck work on reloads, if you think your transitions suck, work on them. Don't go to the range and only practice the things you are good at, work the difficult stuff, weak hand, strong hand etc.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Good advice. One thing Tom Givens mentioned in his podcast is when you have constraints, be careful to pick what you practice per location. If your draw is weak, practice that at home. No need to shoot. Use range time for live fire.

Practice any skill dry that can be practiced dry.
    If possible work it against the timer with par times. Parts of a movement can be worked against the timer and the put back together and timed.
    Examples of skills to be worked are: trigger finger discipline, trigger press, sight alignment, sight picture, draw stroke, presentation from varied ready positions, reloads, malfunction clearances, footwork and movement.

Trigger press can be worked by putting a coin or empty pistol cartridge casing on the front sight and working the trigger while having the coin/case stay in place.
    Claude Werner's Dry CDs are excellent, as are Rogers buddy trigger press drills, Stoeger's excellent books have already been mentioned.

Visualization is also helpful.

I try to use live fire to confirm my dry practice and to practice things dry work does not do well.
    Recoil recovery, Bill drills, failure drills (2 body ,1 head) and aiming point at various ranges among others require live fire.

dry fire a lot. Take a course with any one better than you. Get squaded with some one at a match who is two levels above you. Go to at least two MAJOR matches a year. Get Mike Seeklanders book on dryfiring, go to tetreautraining.com for a warm-up target that will make you train all the important skills in shooting. Then dry fire some more. Remember, after accuracy, is Speed; and speed is doing everything fast that does not involve shooting. (transitions, draw, reload, movement, in and out of positions) This is were you make up your time. Don't shoot fast - do everything else fast, the pulling the trigger faster will come as your skills improve and your vision awareness opens up.

To be a GM, you must not only be a superb surgical speed shooter, you must also be a superb stage planner and executor.

I'm going to be frank here:
    If you don't know what it takes to be a GM, why are you so interested in being one?

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
    F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    To be a GM, you must not only be a superb surgical speed shooter, you must also be a superb stage planner and executor.

If you don't know what it takes to be a GM, why are you so interested in being one?

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
    F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff
    This is wrong. To be a GM, you must shoot the classifiers stages well. Most classifiers are stand and shoot and require no stage planning. The very few that require movement are straightforward and don't require stage planning either.

I'll be frank as well. People that downplay the shooting skills of USPSA GMs don't have the shooting skills to be a USPSA GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post

It's fun to watch the SMEs interact with the "little people".

What's your USPSA classification, "Jack"?

Quote Originally Posted by Pup town View Post
    This is wrong. To be a GM, you must shoot the classifiers stages well. Most classifiers are stand and shoot and require no stage planning. The very few that require movement are straightforward and don't require stage planning either.

I'll be frank as well. People that downplay the shooting skills of USPSA GMs don't have the shooting skills to be a USPSA GM.
    ok first off how did he downplay the shooting skills of USPSA GM's?

User Tag List