Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Live fire training program help

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    To be a GM, you must not only be a superb surgical speed shooter, you must also be a superb stage planner and executor.

I'm going to be frank here:
    If you don't know what it takes to be a GM, why are you so interested in being one?

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
    F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff
    Oh, and the reason I want to be a GM is because I want to be a great, not good shooter. Clearly, if I knew what it took to get there I'd be a GM already. Your initial reply was snarky, the subsequent replies; less so.

If anyone is interested, my training lately has been focused on support hand only shooting (live and dry fire shooting, because my weak hand is a huge weak link) transitions and shooting while on the move, and trigger control. This week I was also able to do a six reload six in 5.3 which is .5 faster than two weeks ago, with all A zone hits. Switching to a heavier gun has helped, I'm now using an SP01.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Oh, and the reason I want to be a GM is because I want to be a great, not good shooter. Clearly, if I knew what it took to get there I'd be a GM already. Your initial reply was snarky, the subsequent replies; less so.

If anyone is interested, my training lately has been focused on support hand only shooting (live and dry fire shooting, because my weak hand is a huge weak link) transitions and shooting while on the move, and trigger control. This week I was also able to do a six reload six in 5.3 which is .5 faster than two weeks ago, with all A zone hits. Switching to a heavier gun has helped, I'm now using an SP01.
    Good job, keep up the good work.

Don't neglect partials in your training to ramp up the difficulty and keep yourself honest with calling your "dry" shots.

Quote Originally Posted by wtturn View Post
    Good job, keep up the good work.

Don't neglect partials in your training to ramp up the difficulty and keep yourself honest with calling your "dry" shots.
    Depending on the partial target, I usually do ok. The zebra ones are tough and kill my time, but they are something I will focus on once my glaring deficiencies have been addressed (weak hand shooting and transitions on the move)

20 minutes of dry fire today while my 10 month old napped.

The first 10 minutes was spent on Stoeger's draw and establish sight picture at simulated 10 yards with a .70 par time. I was consistently hitting the par time, however the sight picture I was able to get would only be appropriate for maybe 5-7 yards. I'll have to sort this out in the coming dry fire sessions.

The second ten minutes was spent on gun on target > reload > sight picture at simulated 10 yards with a par time of 1.0 second. A little trickier. I've found that metal mags are in fact much less forgiving than plastic Glock mags in speed reloads. I'm close to the par time, however yet again, the sight picture isn't acceptable for an A Zone hit on a target at 30 feet. (If this was at a simulated 3 or 5 yards I'd be golden.)

The challenge continues and my work is laid out for me. Grandmaster or bust.

You need to start a training journal man!

Someone mentioned the Ben Stoeger material - good stuff there.

Especially good is learning how to grade your practice on classifiers. Essentially, you can do the math and learn what it takes to get a GM level score, then structure you training accordingly.

Pick a classifier a week and start grinding away; do the math, figure out the times, etc, then start doing drills that will help attain that goal.

Pretty simple, really...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Someone mentioned the Ben Stoeger material - good stuff there.

Especially good is learning how to grade your practice on classifiers. Essentially, you can do the math and learn what it takes to get a GM level score, then structure you training accordingly.

Pick a classifier a week and start grinding away; do the math, figure out the times, etc, then start doing drills that will help attain that goal.

Pretty simple, really...
    Great advice. I just shot a classifier match this past weekend and got my initial classification: C.
    This week's dry fire session was actually three of the classifiers I shot over the weekend. Disaster Factor, More Diaster Factor, and El Pres. My focus was on partials and WHO. I've quickly discovered that WHO is my biggest glaring flaw at this point.

User Tag List