Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend Grips for Security Six

I've experimented with the Ruger oversized "Target" grips, the Ruger "Splinter" grips, the Hogue rubber fingergroove grip, and Trausch TJ84R grips (originally for a round-butt Speed/Service Six, but modified for me by the late Jacques Trausch via some strategic cut-outs to accommodate the Security Six's square butt. The Trausch grips are superb, providing excellent autopistol ergos to a revolver is the best way I can describe them. Although ugly, Jacques further modified a set for me by whittling a crescent speedloader cut-out on the left grip on a set.

Now for the unfortunate part-they were virtually unknown over here, and Jacques never really effectively linked up a viable distributor in the US, so they're pretty much made of unobtanium-but definitely worth the effort to search out. If you find a set, let me know, and I'll send you some detailed images of mine, so you'll know where to make the requisite cut-outs.

A pretty decent second choice would be the Hogues.

Some images:

With left grip speedloader cut-out:

Best, Jon

Trausch grips

Hi Jon,

I am lucky enough to have a pair of Trausch grips for my Security Six, which Jacques sent me directly from Europe some years ago. I am sorry to hear that he is no longer with us. My one complaint has been the lack of a speed loader cutout and I have been too nervous to just start cutting! They are very comfortable as they are and I would hate to screw them up!

I would very much appreciate it if you would send me detailed images of your set, so I will know just how far to cut. I would appreciate any other advice that you might have regarding this modification. My email address is jkrenzel@yahoo.com, if it would make sense to you to email me directly.

Thanks!

Jeffrey

I'll be happy to-gimme a couple of days, my dance card's a bit full right now.

Best, Jon

Thanks Jon!

Thanks for your patience, Jeffery and others-here are some images of Trausch TJ84R grips, both with and without speedloader cuts, as provided to me personally by Jacques Trausch I asked Jacques why the original grips didn't have more aggressive speedloader cuts, particularly since they were OEM grips for a number of French police agencies, and Jacques informed me that surprisingly the French LEOs didn't use speedloaders, and apparently preferred the advantages to be derived from a more ergonomic grip ledge for the left grip.

After going back and forth, I currently have the non-speedloader cut on my Security Six, as I've found that the slightly smaller HKS loaders work fine (as opposed to the larger Safariland Comp IIs). To adequately clear the ledge's protrusion, a vigorous ejection strike is called for, so some practice is well advised.

The bottom cut necessary for the square-butt Security Six:

An unmodified left grip plate, showing thumb channel and upper ledge:

Modified and Unmodified left grip plates compared:

The whittled-down left grip plate, with a crescent-shaped speedloader cut modifying the thumb channel and ledge to accommodate a Safariland Comp II speedloader:

I hope these images are helpful. Jacques clearly knife-whittled mine, but a cleaner, more aesthetic cut might be made with a high-speed Dremel tool or similar-but I'd experiment, as I don't know personally how the rubber reacts to a Dremel.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-08-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I've had the Hogue solid nylon grips on my Security-Six since 1982, very good grips, I prefer them to the rubber grips.

Yup, same here since I got the gun. I have the small factory grips, but they are not-so-good....
    Hogue just works...

"... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List